Anyone have kids like this?

The kind that make you feel like you can never get ahead.

My oldest is very clean and tidy. My youngest is messy.

I clean the house constantly and he destroys it not five minutes later.

I keep asking him, "Do you like to live like this? This is dirty and I don't like it." And he looks right at me and says "Yes, I do."

This place is a constant mess and I feel like all I do is clean and you can't tell...

It's not just toys. He will pull all the clothes out of his closet and dresser. Pull the bedding off the beds. Throw toys everywhere. Tear apart puzzles and scatter them. Pull the cushions and pillows off the couch. Just whatever he can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's important to take into account the child's disposition. Some kids aim to please, some kids are researching what they can get away with. It is hard for a mom whose first child is a pleaser and the second is a researcher because the mom has difficulty understanding why the second is not like the first when the parenting is the same. Our son is a strong-willed researcher and always has been. He is 8 now and we are still struggling. It's been the same at school vs. home, so we know it is him and not us. Kindergarten - the teacher said, "in 25 years I have not had a child like him". First grade - he spent almost the whole time in the principal's office. 2nd grade - excellent progress due to a fantastic teacher who worked with us. 3rd grade - found out he is gifted and a whole new set of problems occured because school is no longer easy, We knew we would get calls from his teacher because he was difficult as a toddler
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:39 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My daughter is like that. But she also had ADHD, so it is just part of the joys of having a child with ADHD. Although maybe your child knows that if he makes a mess mom will clean it up and he/she doesnt have to. Try telling him that it isnt going to get cleaned until he/she cleans it themselves. I know that it is going to be hard to do at first, believe me I know, I'm going through this right now to. But if you keep at it sooner or later your child will start picking up after them selves.
    Tess03

Answer by Tess03 at 1:12 AM on May. 29, 2011

• If you lower your standards for cleanliness, your stress level will go down and you will be happier. Also, he might be doing it because he knows he will get a reaction from you. Kids do anything for attention. Leave the mess and read a book with him. Preschoolers have no empathy; you won't get anywhere trying to reason with him. Keep it simple, just tell him it's time to clean up and then do it **with** him. He will enjoy the mommy-time if you sing the cleanup song and make it fun...
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 1:51 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I have a couple of kids like that! My 2 boys, 2 and 4, LOVE to make a mess, and my younger DD is a clothes horse, and always trying on clothes and then throwing them down! I feel like all I do all the time is follow behind them picking up! Drives me nuts, but I've learned to relax a little and let it go until they take a break. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:49 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I say make him clean up hi room and make sure that he keeps his toys out of the living room and make him put the couch back together by himself. My 2 yo is responsible for cleaning her room and has been since she was about 18 mos old. I also make sure that she puts her laundry away. You have to set the precedent and stick to it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:49 AM on May. 29, 2011