Took progesterone to get period -- still no period.

I have PCOS and for the last couple of year I have only had 1 period a year ( so every november lol ) ...

I fiannly found a DR who thought this wasnt right ( of course) and gave me progesterone ( pill) to take for 10 days and she said on the 11th day I should get a period....

She said if i didnt start on the 11th day, then I need to call in ... well friday was when i was suppose to start, but of course I didnt... I cannot call in the office since it is the weekend ( they say if it is an emergency go to hospital, if not wait until buisness hours) ....

So now I am worried about why i didnt start on the 11th day ?

The first day that i took the pill ( like right after I took it ) I bled a tiny bit ( there was only blood when I wiped) ... but it was gone shortly after...

Today I had some cramping but it only lasted about 20 minutes, and I have not had any other symptoms at all.

So , my questions are....why didnt I get it on the 11th day, does it mean something is wrong, and what do doctors usually do if this happens?

** also , i am not trying to get pregnant, she just wanted me to have a period

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Health

• I don't know why or what they do, so maybe I'm not the right person to answer this question, but I just wanted to encourage you that sometimes it can take a while for your body to adjust to hormones. I think they will probably tell you to keep taking it and wait a little longer, or they might adjust your dose. My daughter has been taking hormones and it has taken over a year for her body to fully adjust.
    DarlaHood

Answer by DarlaHood at 1:41 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I have PCOS too. Only instead of not having a period I get one every 2 weeks. I was given a pill to take for 20 days to stop my period, and then another one to start @ day 10 to start a period on day 21. been about 3 weeks & No period yet here either. had a few days of spotting during the pill switch, but that's it. I don't have an appointment until Next week though. Keeping my fingers crossed it's not another "miracle" pergnancy. The last one alsost killed me.
    Hope you get answers soon! Let me know what they say!
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 2:25 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Did she give you an estradiol Beta-10 pill (or injection) for the last day? The protocol for P&E is progesterone for 10 days with Estradiol beta-10 and progesterone on day 10. Without the estradiol, the progesterone is ineffective.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 2:56 AM on May. 29, 2011