Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Ex wants to take me to court please help. (its little long sry)

well my ex has decided that he wants to take me to court because i told him that i would not be able to meet him to drop off the kids for the summer. now i have told him every weekend he was supposed to have them since the last time he saw them, in december for christmas, that i would be able to meet him. i told him weeks ago that chances were that i would not be able to meet him this weekend because of my work schedule and the fact that i am working like 7 days a week. he says that he cant meet me because he cant afford the gas, but he gets paid like $10 an hour and i only get paid 4.75 an hour, in addition he only pays 300/mth in child support where i have to pay $600/mth in child care, i have no help with the childcare although i am on a waiting list for help which has a 12-24 mth wait. this of course doesnt include the rent and utilities the car, phone etc. plus where he is only supposed to get them for 7 wks of the summer i have offered to let him have them for a full10 wks. i dont konw what he is going to argue when it comes to court but i do know that he seems to think that i have been "walking all over him" when he doesnt even bother to call the kids to talk to them, i've tried to make arrangements for him to see the kids and i agreed to less child support than guidlined in my state. i honestly dont know what else i could do short of loosing my job so i can drop the kids off to keep us out of court and i cant do that, and really i dont have money for a lawyer. any suggestions as to what to do here? or even what the courts would say?


Asked by 2breath2live at 1:19 AM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 18 (5,960 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Write it all down with dates and times (to the best of your memory), and keep a journal of what happens from now until then. GO TO COURT!! GO TO CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT FIRST!!! Have the child support raised!! Bring in all your receipts for child care, and all child related expenses. CSE was a huge help for me & are always engouraging me to take my ex back to court to have the CS raised.
    Do the best that you can for your child and take comfortin the fact that you are doing it.

    Answer by shareleann at 1:47 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • It would be nice if you could get the child support raised, but you won't be able to. If he is only making 10$ an hour, you are lucky to be getting 300$ a month for one child. That is actually a LOT of child support. If you try to get it raised, they could very well get it lowered. My BIL pays 600$ a month for 3 kids and he gets paid 12$ an hour, so they could actually lower his payment. Unfortunately it doesn't matter what you pay for child care, food, clothes, or anything else. They can't force him to pay you enough to cover the bills, or even half of them. It is based on a percentage of his income. They can't make a bunch of guys live on the streets because their ex's bills are too high ( more's the pity ).

    Answer by alphamom26 at 7:48 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • Do you have a friend or relative that can drop off your child to your ex. My divorce says any conpandent adult.

    Answer by SassySue123 at 10:54 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • i have 2 kids and when we set it up the guidlined amount was 353 a month and that when he was making 3 dollars less an hour. and he isnt living on the streets, actually he is living with his mom, not paying rent, or power, or water, or very much at all. he does however have the money to buy a 2nd truck. and i wish i had a relative that could do this but the only relative i have around me is my sister who works 7 days a week as well. She works as a teacher and is the director of summer camp at the Y which she has been working on getting going for the last few months.

    Comment by 2breath2live (original poster) at 6:50 PM on May. 29, 2011