Domestic Abuse? Have you ever been so upset you hit yourself?

Last night I got so upset and went into my room locked the door and was sobbing then started punching my head and now my forehead has been hurting all day and night. I guess I deserve it. What do I expect when I hit myself?

It was either that or break something and I didn't want to wake the kids. :( I wanted to suffer in silence.

Anyone else ever done this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• When I was with my ex-husband I would do similar things. I would lock myself either in the bathroom or the bedroom and hit things that couldn't break or hit myself. At the time it seemed like the right thing to do because the pain I was in from the abuse seemed to hurt less by doing that.
    lmv1970

Answer by lmv1970 at 8:23 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Never, I hope your situation gets better, if its this bad maybe its time to re evaluate your situation.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:07 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I used to like to break things, or throw something. Never really did anything to myself besides punching a car window and hurting my budget to get it replaced/
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:04 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Please don't hurt yourself. Try and put your anger out in a different way. Maybe try running or get a punch bag to take it out on. Make sure you also find someone you trust that you can tell your feelings to. Maybe there's a close friend or coworker?
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:02 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I used to cut. I like to break stuff too. I haven't cut in 2 years. IDK how I stopped, I just got over it one day. Developing a heart of stone I'm sure helped me out.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 3:11 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I got so pissed once I punched the streetlight outside my house until my DH (then bf) pulled me away. broke a couple knuckles and of course wished i hadn't been so stupid after the shock wore off.
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 3:32 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I have always been more of the punch the wall or other hard unbreakable objects that break bones rather than myself. . . even if it is a brick wall where I worked. . . not only did I break my hand. . . I busted a hole in the plaster. . . OUCH! I suppose that is a form of personal self inflicted abuse. . . but that was years ago now. . . Now I am more into the self loathing. . . you know sitting alone in a dark room hating myself. . . It doesn't help, but. . .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on May. 29, 2011

• ummm.... I think you need to talk to someone.... that isn't healthy....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:32 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My 23 year old brother hits himself in the head. His 3 year old son also does it. He has horrible anger issues which NEED to be adressed. Honey, if you feel the need to do this, I think you should seek help.
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 8:20 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Been there- I used to do it a lot as a kid-then as a teen I cut/scratched...then when my kids were little and I'd be frustrated or whatever I went back to hitting myself again :/
    I could have used a therapist -I'm sure...it's much much more rare now-but if I get really really pissed/frustrated it will still happen.

Sadly -my daughter is a cutter and my son hits himself a lot when he is upset :( (YES they have been and when we move will be back in therapy)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:29 AM on May. 29, 2011