9 year old cutting grass???

My husband wants to let my 9 year old son cut the yard with our ridding lawn mower. I say no way! Not until he is at least 12-13 years old. He could freak out and get really hurt or hurt someone else real bad. But my husband says there are safety's on it and that I am just babying him. What do I do? And am I just babying him?

AmberNicoley

Asked by AmberNicoley at 4:25 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I started cutting grass at 8 with a push mower my boys started helping my dad about the same age he sat outside watching them and it was fine I would say 1 of you just stay near by and watch him. If my dad thought it was to much he would take over like hills and ditches but the flat part of the yard he should be fine but just remember someone needs to watch him at all times but this is your son so you do what you feel is best.
    chunkyhoney78

Answer by chunkyhoney78 at 4:38 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think its too young, my Dad has a ride on mower and there is no way he would let a child on it on there own, its so easy for things to go wrong on them, a grown man in our area was killed on one last year, he had been riding them for years, as he was going around his property it flipped over and was on top of him with the motor still going with no one around to be able to hear him or help him he was killed. I know your son would be supervised its just an example of how easy something can go wrong.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:57 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Definitely too young. Too much can go wrong too fast.
    mollgirl59

Answer by mollgirl59 at 5:05 AM on May. 29, 2011

• to young for a riding lawn mower, perfect age for a push mower!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:13 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My son was cutting the lawn with a push mower at 9. I guess it would depend on the mower and the yard. Can you observe him the whole time?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:08 AM on May. 29, 2011

• We had a boy from our community killed last month. He was 11 and had been doing it for a while. It flipped over on him and he suffocated.

Our son will not. We discussed it and he doesn't ride on them at all.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 8:14 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I definately think 9 is WAY too young. Maybe 11. I mow our lawn most of the time during the year with a rider mower. I have a 12 year old daughter that STILL hasn't mowed with it. She has used a push mower since she was 11 and instructed MANY times esp at the beginning of mowing season the safety etc of it. I know there are a lot more buttons and levers, etc on a rider than a push mower. Does your husband just want to get out of mowing or does he really want to teach him?
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 9:04 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My sons started mowing grass at around that age but they used push mowers. When my youngest was 8 and his brothers were 9, 11 and 12 they started their own lawn care business mowing lawns, raking, pulling weeds and shoveling snow.
    Anonymous

• If it was a push mower I'd say yes- my three cousins and I were using a push mower at my grandfathers at that age. When he thought we were ready he'd let us use the riding mower- after watching use drive around without the blades on, explaining to us how all of the different levers and buttons worked, and making sure we could reach the pedals. I was probably 10 or 11.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:45 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I agree with you. 9 is too young.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 4:42 AM on May. 30, 2011