how much to you pay babysitters?

collinscincy

Asked by collinscincy at 12:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I know prices on many things are up there, but I don't go out often and I have 2 great babysitters and want to keep them so for my 2 children ages 4 and 5 I pay them $5.00 per hour.
    madmik24

Answer by madmik24 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We pay ours $5 an hour, which some people would consider low but that is what she quoted for us. I have 2 boys ages 6 and 14 months and when we use a babysitter it is usually someone a little older and with experience with children; and we have been using her ever since my oldest was tiny.
    Autumnlover68

Answer by Autumnlover68 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Wow! I must be crazy, I pay mine $8 an hour, she is awesome with my kids!
    momofana82

Answer by momofana82 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Generally between 5-10 an hour. My sitter is the best so I want to make sure she is happy (I only have 1 child, 2 yrs old)
    ktrost

Answer by ktrost at 12:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have an occasional babysitter and I pay her $10 an hour to check my two boys 2 1/2 and 16 months old. I don't think anybody around this area will take less than $7.50.
    Jandy_chic

Answer by Jandy_chic at 12:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

Autumnlover68

Answer by Autumnlover68 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We do not get to go out very often because of how much babysitters charge. In WI they tend to charge $2.50 per child and I have 4 children so I end up paying $10/hour. I know that I do not sound grateful like everyone else. But when I was in high school and babysitting I never ran the show demanding how much I would get. I was grateful for however much they would give me, after all they always made sure that I had some good munchies and all I had to do was watch TV once the kids were sleeping. I find it crazy when teen-age babysitters are making more than someone working for minimum wage.
    Anonymous

• I pay $10 a hour for 1 child (21 months)...I would say when I was researching $10 is the average for the area.
    Anonymous

• Im in the $10 range as well,the way I see it is I don't go out often and i want my girls well cared for.
    Angie430

Answer by Angie430 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I pay $5 per hour. I have an 8 month old daughter and a 3 year old son. I think $5 per hour is reasonable and I have never had anyone complain. In fact, I have had sitters wave the money and ask to babysit again! There are some people out there that just love kids! My husband and I only go out about once a quarter. Every once in a while, when I was working, we would both take the day off work and drop our son off at day care and just spend the whole day together. We were paying for day care anyhow...why not enjoy it!!
    melanie_78

Answer by melanie_78 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008