How can i tell when my breast milk is dreid up

i just found out that my 3 week old is gettin sick from my breast milk and doctor told me to go though the drin process. and for about a week now ive been tring dried it up. im not engorged that much and more i just have lil pain here and there. i need to know if im dried up or not i want to take a hot shower again. been taken cold ones to so i dont get engorged like i use to.can anyone tell me if they know

skyma

Asked by skyma at 6:40 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you sure about this? Have there been tests to confirm it? This is a very rare problem. But to answer your question, if you try hand expressing and some milk comes out then you are not dried up. Just make a c-shape with your hand and take your breast in you hand. Smooth your thumb firmly along the top of your breast while smoothing your fingers along the bottom of your breast towards your nipple. As your thumb and fingers approach your nipple, continue applying firm pressure and the nipple with gather between your thumb and index finger, gently pinch the areola behind the nipple and if there is milk it will squirt out.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 8:01 AM on May. 29, 2011

• i was only givin her breast milk since she was born (may4th)and a week later i noticed she was throwin uo every time i feed her and now that she is on formal she has not thrown up and is gain weight she was 7lbs 1oz and now she is 8lbs 5oz and the doctor said that my milk was not doin anything for her. i guess it most run in my family my mom and grams couldnt give milk it was poison. thank you for your help
    skyma

Comment by skyma (original poster) at 2:48 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I'm so sorry that you are going through that. If you really want to find out if your milk the problem, you should see a lactation consultant. Cow's milk is much more difficult for babies to digest than human breastmilk. Before you rule it out, there are other things you can do. See if there is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant in your area that can help. It could just be that you need to eliminate something from your diet that doesn't agree with your baby. Pediatricians go to formula because that's all they know. The real experts are lactation consultants. If you want to give another go at it, find an expert in your area by going to http://americas.iblce.org/find-an-ibclc
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 3:47 PM on May. 29, 2011