What do you do?

Do you have any Summer fun ideas for teens that cost little or nothing besides going to the park? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Ask them to come up with some ideas....all kids are different and enjoy different things. Also they won't think what they are doing is 'lame' or 'stupid'.... ;)
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 8:32 AM on May. 29, 2011

• They can volunteer somewhere! My 14yo and her friend are volunteering together at the local library to help with the children's summer reading program. The other mom and I are splitting the driving, the girls get to spend time together, and they're helping the community.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 8:38 AM on May. 29, 2011

• volunteer work
    summer school

Answer by rkoloms at 8:44 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Volunteer ... check with your city or town. Our town has a program that matches up teens not yet old enough to work at the mall or fast food joints with senior citizens who need some help, things like light housekeeping, yardwork, etc. The teens and the seniors negotiate a price for the job being proposed so even though it's volunteer-based, there is some $ coming in, and they get the added benefit of doing something good for someone in their community.

I don't know your teen(s) and they may balk at the idea but my son was one that I NEVER thought would buy into it, but he loved it. The few bucks he made was nice but he took great pride in helping others (teens, I feel, usually so selfish, need to focus on others once in a while) and he learned a few things about himself in the process!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:50 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My dd helped at a boys & girls club one summer. They had a few classes on what to do and expect.
    She loved it. Maybe help out your church, an animal shelter or daycare
    Help out at the local churchs with their vacation bible school
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:11 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Volunteering seems to be a great solution. Red Cross has opportunities, and VBS is a great idea. Have them help you organize a yard sale, and let them have part of the $$$. Cooking classes aren't cheap, but maybe there is something both of you would like to master, get recipes and work on it together. Local YMCA should have some programs too.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:45 AM on May. 29, 2011

• summer school , volunteering , summer camps .....there are plenty of possiblitys you just have to figure out what your kid is "in" to or would enjoy doing and go from there....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:59 AM on May. 29, 2011

• volunteering is always a great idea. Get them involved in swimming or gardening too.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 10:50 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Pool pass
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 1:26 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Getting a job
    SherriPie