C section

So I am going in wednesday morning for my scheduled c section, I had a c section with my first, but it wasn't scheduled. What do they do during a scheduled c section when you go into the hospital, and why do you have to be there 2 hrs early?

jerseyshorefan

Asked by jerseyshorefan at 9:11 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They give you an ultra sound to check position of the baby, shave you!, hook you up to IV, have you sign papers, get situated. This will be much better than your last one. A piece of cake compared to an emergency c. And the second one has a much faster recovery. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:22 AM on May. 29, 2011

• i had two scheduled c-sections - these are definitely the way to go compared to having an emergency c-section. Basically you go in, get registered and they do all kinds of things to prep you for surgery. you will get changed and they will shave you down below if needed, take your bp and vital signs. Ask you a bunch of questions. it is typically cold in the pre-surgery area and in the operating room so if you are cold .. definitely ask for more blankets, etc - they are really good about this. depending on the doctor - you husband will be able to take it or take pictures (they probably don't like video taping). Your husband can typically be in the room if he wants to - and he can choose to watch or not to. They will take him away right before surgery and put him in scrubs. when you get into the operating room they will have you sit on the operating table and give you the spinal. then surgery starts. Good luck!!
    shopleslie

Answer by shopleslie at 9:40 AM on May. 29, 2011

• my first one wasn't an emergency c. baby wasn't in distress or anything just he was to big to fit. Thats also why I am having a scheduled this time because the baby is another big baby.
    jerseyshorefan

Comment by jerseyshorefan (original poster) at 9:41 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I am pretty excited, to get him out and finally get to see him! Little bit nervous though about the epidural. I hate needles. For my c section I get to have two people in the room, I am having my mom and husband
    jerseyshorefan

Comment by jerseyshorefan (original poster) at 9:43 AM on May. 29, 2011

• i know how you feel about being nervous about the epidural, i've had 3 children and this was always my biggest worry. however with a scheduled c-section they'll most likely give you a spinal which feels like an epidural but there is no catheter (atleast i don't think there was) and the numbing effect is stronger. they want you there early to get you situated first, put on your gown, hook you up to a fetal monitor, paperwork, etc. i remember my first c-section wasn't planned either due to a big baby (10.2 lbs to be exact) and my 2nd planned c-section was a breeze compared to the first, including recovery. although she was only 8.4 lbs but my previous scar was too young to have a vbac. but this will feel like a mini-vacation compared to the first! congrats and good luck
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:56 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yeah I am not nervous about the surgery at all just the needle. I hate needles. My first son was 8 lb 0z and 21 1/4 inches long. They think this baby is same size or bigger. 8 lbs is huge for me I am only 4'11 and normally 95 lbs. If I went to my due date with my son he would have been 10.
    jerseyshorefan

Comment by jerseyshorefan (original poster) at 10:28 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I just had a scheduled c/s on the 18th. They didn't do an u/s for me. They just took me into my room and we got ready for the surgery. IV was put in and loaded with lots of fluids before going in. Lots of questions and they explained what was going to happen. Then you go back, get the spinal and then DH can come in just before the surgery starts. After that its just waiting for them to finish and go to recovery. Good luck!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:43 AM on May. 29, 2011

• how long did you all have to stay in the hospital for?
    jerseyshorefan

Comment by jerseyshorefan (original poster) at 11:22 AM on May. 29, 2011

• 3 days
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:23 AM on May. 29, 2011

• my last c section I was in for 5 days because I ran a high fever of 105 no infection though, but don't know why I had a fever.
    jerseyshorefan

Comment by jerseyshorefan (original poster) at 11:53 AM on May. 29, 2011