Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What do i do???? PLEASE HELP

So Me and my 18 month old have never been seprated since day one. Well her father has been in and out her life (he is an old field worker). Well I moved out for the second time a little over a week ago. Well at that time he only wanted weekend with her when he was off and if he had a day here or there. Which was ok with me. I dont wanna take her away from him. Well he got mad at me and told me I was a piece of s*** and he was gonna sign his rights away (I have this in a text message). Now he has a lawyer and wants full custody. I am scared he will run with her so I am not letting him see her til after court. Which he told me if i dont work with him he will not work with me and will take her from me. He has never really spent much time with her. When I moved the first time he only came and seen her 1 time out of the 4 or 5 months we was gone. I can count the number of diapers he has changed on one hand. He never got up with her at night. Rarely fed her as a baby. He has the money for all the court stuff as i do not. We are suppose to have a meeting for child suppport and what ever they set up visitation wise. We were never married so in texas i have full custody. Well he is gonna bring his lawyer so he can try to get it dismissed til court. He skipped tryin medation and everything. Iwanna say all this is out of madness and not wanting to pay child support. His sister has even made the comment she doesnt want him to take her from me. He is a drinker and has anger issues. Thinking maybe bi polar.... I have no one really to talk to about this... PLEASE HELP... Thank you in advance!!!

He is the only one with a lawyer at this point.


Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • What has YOUR lawyer advised you to do?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • You need to get a lawyer if you do not already have one. Keep that text and document anything he says to you and give it to your lawyer.

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:20 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • He has to prove that your an unfit mother as long, as your caring and providing the basic needs food, shelter and clothing.
    He has no grounds for taking custody away from you.

    Answer by SassySue123 at 9:22 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • Do you have a lawyer? I am pretty sure you can get one for free. Also unless you have a serious drug or mental problem they probably won't give him full custody but he might get visitation. Document everything, keep all texts, emails, and communication that will help your case. Good luck.


    Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:22 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • See about contacting legal aid and getting a lawyer to represent your side in this.


    Answer by JSD24 at 9:47 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • go to the county clerks office (most are located in the court house or close by) and ask them about free legal help they will give you the #'s you need.....then you need to contact them and get the ball rolling for free legal help, you need to save the txt messages and either tell him you are going to record all conversations when he calls...and second do not go see him and his lawyer alone (take a friend if you have to) do not let him have the baby till every thing is done through court and on record....good luck

    Answer by cara124 at 9:55 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • Document everything and prepare yourself well. Has he been arrested for anything drug related or violent in the past? Take that information with you. Anytime he has asked to have your daughter and has not followed through, document it. The things he has said about signing off his rights, refusing mediation, not wanting to work with you...document it. It sounds like you were open to reasonable visitation with being willing to let him take her on his weekends and days off, but he didn't want that...document it. What his sister said...document it. Make sure you have your thoughts clearly organized about your concerns of him having her full time. Put things in chronological order for the judge like a time line.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:00 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • Ii would advise you to talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by Brandy928 at 10:26 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • Bring the text, that will help. Also, you are right, don't let him take her. They are not going to give him full custody and you can ask for an adjustment period where he only has her a few hours at a time. If he doesn't make those regularly, he will probably lose visitation all together. Plus make she they order him to pay you back child support from day one.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 10:27 AM on May. 29, 2011

  • He has a criminal back ground starting at i wanna say 13 but he has clean up since then he is now 26. Thank you guys for all your help!!! you guys are wonderful!!! Im so scared/nervous! Im not sure i could live with out her! I have only left her over night once n called i swear every 2 hours if not sooner lol !!!!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:00 PM on May. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.