What can I do for my non stick pan that has lost it's, uhh, nonstickyness?

I bought it at a thrift store about 2 years ago. It was my go to pan for almost everything. I've noticed over the past few days, it's not working as well. No matter how much butter I put down 1st, my eggs always stick. It's gross and hard to clean.

If I buy a new one, how long they they usually last?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 9:13 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Get a new one...

We had a set of T Fal when it was the greatest thing ever *supposedly...and they weren't nearly as great as they were made out to be- god forbid you brun something in one...anyhow when we replaced them we went with a nice set of steel pans and I will never buy non stick again! I buy one relatively cheap set for making pancakes and eggs and when they start getting wierd- I get new ones
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:18 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Throw it out ... it's dangerous. In fact, don't ever buy another non-stick pan again as they are dangerous even when knew. Stick to iron, much safer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I agree with PP. I have a buddy who went to the ER last week for Teflon inhalation. Once it starts flaking, it will get in your food, everything will stick. Toss it.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:19 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Definitely throw it out
    shopleslie

Answer by shopleslie at 9:20 AM on May. 29, 2011

• The only time they are dangerous is when you put them on high. They usually last 2-3 years. You can't repair it, as the coating is breaking down. Get a stainless steel non stick and they last longer, but are more expensive. And with the steel if it begins to stick and yellowish stains appear, all you need to do is heat a little vinegar in the bottom and it will be restored.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 9:22 AM on May. 29, 2011

• cueballsmom - great tip..thanks.

OP - toss it. I bought a set of Wolfgang Puck's pots and pans eleven years ago. I've never regretted spending the money.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:25 AM on May. 29, 2011

• meooma ... I have a set of the WP stainless steel. Bought them, um, wow, 7 years ago. I love them.

cueballsmom ... I did not know that about the SS non-stick ... excellent tip.

OP ... just toss the pan and get a new one. I agree with getting the stainless steel. My WP set came with one non-stick and I am still using it. No problems with it.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:42 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Stainless steel rocks. But for eggs, I LOVE my cast iron skillet - use it enough and it'll get seasoned enough that it will work just like your non-stick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Get a cast iron; used is best. Cast iron is the original non-stick surface, and will get more iron into your family

Answer by rkoloms at 12:19 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Throw it out. Once the nonstick coating comes off, it is dangerous to use.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:02 PM on May. 29, 2011