Vaginal birth after C-section...

Has anybody had a vaginal birth after have a c-section? I heard so many different things from you "should" have another c-section due to risks, to there are so many women who have a vaginal birth after a c-section. I had a c-section with my son due to VERY high blood pressure, so I am not sure what to expect this time around...and if I given the option, which way should I go??

SDA722

Asked by SDA722 at 9:20 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i can you have a vaginal birth there no reasons why not how ever you need to be in hospital to do so and they can only allow you to be in labour for so long i think its less than 12 hours  also they cant induct you.

i had a section with my 1st due to that fact i failed to go into labour with my 2nd the dr's were all for me having a vaginal birth how ever i also did not go into labour . when we did up stuff for my giving birth i was told all the can and cant do's with a  vaginal birth after a section

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:26 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I have had three vaginal births after my c-section.
    In general, a vaginal birth for you (even after a c-section) is much better for you and your baby. They play up the risk of uterine rupture, but really it's a VERY small risk and the risks of something going wrong during a c-section are much higher. I strongly encourage you to join the VBAC group here on cafemom as they have a ton of useful information that can ease your mind about the fears of a VBAC. The truth is that in most cases a repeat c-section is going to be more dangerous for you and for the baby.

Please join that group-they are a great bunch of ladies and should be able to answer any questions you have. You can do it! Good luck!
    Azure

Answer by Azure at 9:37 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I had a vaginal delivery after my emergency csection it was placenta rupture. They induced me and she came in 4 hours no problems.
    looneymom424

Answer by looneymom424 at 11:05 AM on May. 29, 2011

• VBACs have about a 1% risk of uterine rupture making them a MUCH SAFER choice for MOST women then that of a repeat csection.

The type of incision you had is typically a big factor is whether or not you are safe to try for one but MOST women are recieving low transverse incisions these days making most women candidates for VBACs.

You will also need a supportive health care provider. Midwives are typically the best option because they have the highest sucess rate for VBACs but there are doctors out there with good outcome rates.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Also my sister had one for her second baby. No complications at all. She was in labor 6 hours, pushed for 1 hour and came baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Aim for health & safety.
    That's the priority , IMO!!
    ;-)

This means preventing pre-e and high blood pressure and choosing a normal (natural) birth.

Anyone that says go for a repeat cesarean because it's "safer" is uninformed.
    There is a lot of info available and I can help, you can join/go to ICAN meetings for plenty of help, lots of help available for you!

* Who we hire for our maternity care can be our biggest risk factor.
    (Just because one care provider puts options in terms of his/her opinions does not make that safer for you/baby-- or that you don't have more options.)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:48 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I researched into this because my daughter wanted a water birth at home and me to deliver her second child. It's actually a much bigger risk of uterine rupture for another c-section than it is for VBAC. Turns out she moved out of state, went into labor and they whisked her immediately into surgery.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:00 AM on May. 30, 2011