Are there any mothers who were worried about their children being delayed in some things but turned out that they were perfectly fine, just taking their time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yep was like that with my littlest one with walking. He did not start until about 3 weeks ago and he is 17 months.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 1:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes I was like that with my daughter and her not talking but now at 3 she wont stop and can count to 15.

To the pp Wow I wish my son wouldnt have walked till then he still wouldnt be walking lol
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 2:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My daughter walked early, before she was a year, so I started getting worried when my son didn't. He's 17 months now and is finally puttering around and doing so with much more confidence than my daughter did. Don't freak. Every child is different, and even if something is "wrong", your child is still perfect. God doesn't make mistakes.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 6:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My son didn't start talking until he was about 22 months. I was starting to get worried and the doctor was willing to send him to speech therapy if I wanted; but I just gave him alittle more time and now at age 2 and a half he speaks wonderfully.
    Also, I have a friend whose son didn't walk until about 2 and didn't talk until about 3! His doctor sent him to a neurologist to make sure he was okay. That boy is now the most advanced child in his kindergarten class; The teacher thinks he should skip a grade or go to an advanced school. And I know the mother and the teacher.
    Anyway, you never can tell.
    Boosa

Answer by Boosa at 9:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Im in the same group with my son not uttering even the word Mommy until 22 months. He very very slowly added words and now at 2.5 years he will repeat any word and can count to 14, knows all his colors and alot of letters. So he took one summer and had a huge learning explosion. Alot of the times you'll find they focus on one skill a while and then another. For instance, he was always a head physically but kind of behind verbally untill he finally took the time to master it. Just stay calm and enjoy it =)
    rojareb84

Answer by rojareb84 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• yep my daughter with talking...she is over 2.5 now and just recently started to bloom her vocab but she is just fine
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• yup, my son's speech was behind until this summer when he just grew in leaps and bounds with no real cause. it happens... i was relieved!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes, Yes, and Yes. I have 4 children, and my first son did everything so quickly. My second son was 100% different. He did everything late. In fact, when he started kindergarten, he only knew 4 letters of the alphabet, and he has 5 letters in his own name. His teacher asked me if I would be offended if she put him in "special help" classes, and I told her I was willing to do anything to help him. Before the teacher or I knew it, he was running with leaps and bounds without any special help like first thought. He just woke up. I have learned that kids learn in their own time. He is 10 now, and he still take his own sweet time with everything; however, he has a 134 IQ and goes to gifted classes. So go figure.
    LOHood

Answer by LOHood at 9:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2008