Do you think this?

Do you think it's harder for socialization when you have an only child? I try hard to get my child together with kids because of her being an only child but maybe I'm making too much of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Right now I have an only child but that will change in the future. She is 4 and goes to daycare so she gets plenty of socialization,.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:42 AM on May. 29, 2011

• depends on the age of your child.....0-6 yes because most only children are kinda shy.......7-10 they are meeting friends in school, sports, dance class ect.......11-18 their teenagers and their friends are going to depend on their moods........dont stress about you kid have friends to much they will make some even if its only one or two good ones......my dd 15 have 4 very close friends, and what she calls school friends (meaning she talks to people at school but she doesnt want to hang with them outside of school)......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:45 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think it's easier with an only child. You have more flexibility with arranging play dates with just one kid. I have 3 and the more personalities you put in one room, the more potential for conflict you have. When 2 kids play together compromise is easier.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:45 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My kids have school friends, family friends and neighborhood friends.
    I think its important that you give them the chance but don't push them. I was always quite and shy, didn't have any real friends until 5th grade. I had cousins / family friends but no one outside of this small circle. Even in school I was quite and shy. Once I got a job in the public I've learned to grow out of my shyness. I'm still not going to yell across a room at you, but it all depends on you childs personnality.
    Let your child be who they want to be..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:52 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I was an only child and you are probably making too much of it imo. We only children get used to playing on our own and sometimes for me anyway I preferred it. My husband is also an only child and he thinks the same thing. It is a different dynamic for us because we are used to being alone. Dont get me wrong i liked playing with other kids, but I had enough toys, and a good imagination to get by. Some things I did like was swimming, Girls Club, Girls Scouts and things like that. I also had cousins I could visit with. But aside from that I never felt slighted or anything.

Answer by gemgem at 10:00 AM on May. 29, 2011

• No, I dont. My oldest was an only child for 7 years before his sister came into the picture; he had no problem with socialization up to that point or after. My daughter was just as exposed to other kids as my son was but she was painfully shy so it took her awhile to warm up to others; now she puts my son, who I thought was the most social person EVER, to shame because she is more the social butterfly! I think it has more to do with their personalities than whether or not they have siblings.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:01 AM on May. 29, 2011

• You can help to make your kids a social life regardless if you have 1 or 5.You can do church programs, school,daycare,friends of family, and so much more.You have to teach them the same things either way it goes.
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 10:22 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I am having a hard time socializing my DD with children her own age. She is friends that are much older than her (she is 2 and her friends range in age from 5 to 12). I want her to have some friends her own age, but daycare isn't an option due to cost. So we do free things like go to story time at the library and then we go to the park.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:41 AM on May. 29, 2011