Extremely picky eater. please help.

my son is 2 years old, and ever since i started him on table food he has been extremely picky, he wont eat anything but mashed potatoes, corn, ramen noodles, french fries, chicken nuggets, and junk food....i did not make him this way i have tried the whole if you are hungry you will eat thing but he seriously wont eat anything he doesnt want to. he weighs the same amount that he did a year ago...i just dont know what to do, i have asked the doctor and she said as long as he eats something he will be fine. but i just wish he would actually eat something it has gotten very frustrating and i have had enough of it... please help me

hismommy6509

Asked by hismommy6509 at 9:45 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• kids go through fazzis where they only want to eat certain things...just keep offering him other foods and one day he will supprise you ....and you ped is righ as long as he is eating he will be ok...and toddlers loss weight because they are so active....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:48 AM on May. 29, 2011

• but he has been like this all along...the only time he ate good was when he was eating baby food. but he seriously wont eat anything...and it freaks me out
    hismommy6509

Comment by hismommy6509 (original poster) at 9:53 AM on May. 29, 2011

• this is tough...my son is almost 8 years old and has become very picky!! It is so frusterating. I had surgery in december and it seemed to happen then while others were helping me. They started making him separate things. Now I am back to almost normal, battling his pickiness...eat what I fix. I try to make things he "likes" then I get "Gross, I don't like that" It's been a struggle we are working on.
    Does yours like pediasure or that new Mott's jusice with the veggies in it? You could try those.
    Keep me posted on how it goes!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:55 AM on May. 29, 2011

• just curious, if you didn't make him this way then who did? does he serve himself? if you're concerned that his diet isn't healthy, then stop giving him those foods. you're the parent. he will eat when he's hungry.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:03 AM on May. 29, 2011

• okay i did not make him the way he is tnm786, when my child wont eat for three days straights and cant sleep because he is hungry and i can hear his stomache growling from across the room i am not just gonna let him starve himself...i tried the if you are hungry you will eat but it doesnt work he still to this day will wait 3 or 4 days if i dont give into him...i was asking a simple question with simple answers and didn't ask for you to critisize me. even his dad has tried to get him to eat but if he doesnt want it he doesnt want it.
    hismommy6509

Comment by hismommy6509 (original poster) at 10:08 AM on May. 29, 2011

• It really is true that if you don't give in then they will eventually eat. Your son has learned that after a few days you feel sorry for him and will give in so he holds out. You have to decide that you aren't going to put up with it and hold out longer than he does. if he is eating something that you approve of and not everything then you are on the right track. The other mom's are right. You made him this way by giving in. You have to decide that you want to to fix and and most of us are giving the info that works and you don't want to take it. I say just let your kid run your house and make all the parenting decisions himself. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:29 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I understand how hard it is to just say "you will eat when you are hungry"... it makes life a battle. I've tried a bunch of tactics, but now we are doing a modified, kinder, no stress verson of the same thing. My son literally gets 3 meals and 3 snacks (including milk/smoothie before bed) - somewhere in all that he finds enough that he's willing to eat. Each meal/snack is different and reasonable (usually no junk food). I offer tons that he doesn't touch, but that's okay. When the pressure's off and variety is high, slowly he might get curious enough to try!

Take what he likes and expand on it. If he likes chips, make baked sweet potato or corn tortilla chips. Make low sugar oatmeal raisin cookies with applesauce and shredded carrots. Mix cheese or veggies in the mashed potatoes. Tell him about it after he eats it (no hiding or lying). Make milkshakes (like icecream) with frozen fruit (or pediasure). Get creative!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:20 PM on May. 30, 2011

• BTW - Definitely offer what you all eat... just don't stress him or yourself out if he says "no". My son rarely likes what we eat for dinner and often refuses to eat any of it, but he's still alive! If you don't like to send him to bed hungry (I don't!!), make a regular thing of having a healthy snack before bed regardless of whether he ate dinner - like maybe milk and cereal or fruit.

I don't know any kid who won't eat fresh fruit if it's consistently offered. Eat a lot of different kinds of fruit in front of him and offer it frequently... eventually he'll learn to love it too! At this age, it's more about role-modeling and setting a healthy example of what to eat.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:43 PM on May. 30, 2011

• he seriously cries if i offer him anything other than what he wants. i have even tried giving him baby food again. i can not go that many days knowing he hasnt eaten anything. he is very stubborn and i cant help but give in because he cries of hunger pains. i have tried different types of foods on one plate at once and he refuses it all. i am seriously losing my mind. i eat very healthy and he used to love fruit but now it is like pulling teeth. thank you all for the advise its just i dont like someone saying it is my fault that he is like this. i was feeding him healthy but then he stopped wanting to eat anything. and i couldnt just let a 9 month old baby go hungry...he is my first child but i helped raise my nephew so i have some experience but all children are different....i wasnt trying to be rude or nasty but i am just stating that it is not my fault that my child is like he is...when he does eat he doesnt eat much at all
    hismommy6509

Comment by hismommy6509 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on May. 31, 2011

• the doctor said that alot of children go through the "i dont want to eat phase" but it is driving me crazy i feel like a bad mom...and his dad doesnt seem to think that something is wrong with him not eating healthy he just says as long as he is eating something. and i also dont have any backup with the whole let him starve until he eats thing...but thank you all for the answers and sorry for the rudeness
    hismommy6509

Comment by hismommy6509 (original poster) at 9:41 PM on May. 31, 2011