Do you let your children play with toy guns?

Why or why not????

RedDahlia82

Asked by RedDahlia82 at 10:08 AM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• no. Swords or knives either. It revs the kids up and then someone invariably gets hurt

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:10 AM on May. 29, 2011

• No. I don't think it's right to point a gun, real or otherwise, at someone.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:12 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Squirt guns, dart guns, sure. Anything that looks like a real gun, not until they are old enough to know the difference between a real gun and a play gun.

I don't want to cross that line between fun and dangerous. There is already too much confusion with growing up and that is something that i can eliminate when it comes to guns.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:13 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Oh, that's a toughie.

On the one hand, boys are boys, so it's in their nature.

On the other, it's violent, but no worse than video games. If they don't have the toys they'll just make their hands into "guns" and make the ppppppppppppppppppppppppppptttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt sounds of machine guns. I've seen it.

I think it just depends on the understanding and maturity of the child.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 10:15 AM on May. 29, 2011

• no
    harlotte20

Answer by harlotte20 at 10:15 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I ont have boys and my daughters don't play with them. My mother let my 2 younger brothers play with them, but she made it very clear that they were not allowed to point it at each other.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 10:16 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes. We have Nerf swords and light sabers too. Have you ever seen kids use a banana or a carrot even their finger as a gun??

When we were kids and played cops and robbers what was so wrong with that??? Honestly I would much rather my son be running in the back yard for hours with his friends defending the world against monsters and aliens with is toy guns and Nerf swords then playing video games.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:16 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think that they should be taught the importance of gun safety .Of course you should know when that time is.I let my kids play with them .
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 10:19 AM on May. 29, 2011

• i'm not sure what the fuss is about. what age do they start to know the difference between real and pretend guns? my guess is before they know the difference, they are never going to actually touch a real gun, unless the parent is neglectful, doesn't watch their child and keeps their real gun in reach of a child. if the parent practices gun safety, a child who doesn't know the difference between real and fake guns is not going to be able to have the opportunity to accidentally shoot someone.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:19 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Here's the thing to think about ... even if they don't have a toy gun to play with, they mimic the shape with their fingers. No toy sword? My kids used an empty gift wrap paper roll. And what kid didn't have a toy light saber after Star Wars came out? Kids have active imaginations ... how else are they supposed to fight off evil aliens and monsters??? I think it's OK to let them play but also use it as an opportunity to teach about the dangers of the "real" items. And I agree w/PP above, definitely better than video games.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on May. 29, 2011