Do you feel guilty when you need a break away from your children?

Some times my 3 daughters make me want to run 100 miles away and grab a martini on the way.

alboston

Asked by alboston at 10:22 AM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sometimes I do. But not as much as I did when they were smaller. My 6 yr old spends every Friday night at grandmas and sometimes i feel a tinge of guilt for wanting to yell YES! when she goes over.

Answer by gemgem at 10:23 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Sometimes I do but sometimes I know I will be a better mom if I get break and then my mom will take the boys over night
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 10:24 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I get NO break. I live 3.5 hours and 9.5 hours away from all family. :-(
    alboston

Comment by alboston (original poster) at 10:25 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Nope! Don't feel guilty if you need a break. I heard the description of children perfectly in a movie trailer, Justin Bateman said, "Children are like little heroin addicts, they are laughing one minute and crying the next, and for some reason they are always trying to kill themselves in your bathroom" Grab that martini, follow it with a long hot bath, and have hubby take care of bedtime ;)
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 10:26 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Nope, never feel guilty. I have 5 of them and we live 2000 miles from our closest family that would take the kids. The only time I get a break is when my husband is home which is 2 days a week. He works the rest of the time (leaves at 8:30am and gets home at 7pm, bedtime is at 8pm). My break is usually locking myself in my room to write. Which doesn't really block all the noise and the kids usually bang on my door 20 million times because my husband ignores them. Sometimes I go for a long walk. Either way if I don't do chores while I'm on a break I have to make up for them later. No one in my family would think to lift a hand to help me. Even when I was sick with pneumonia earlier this month. They house was such a mess I had to give up being sick and force myself back to cleaning even if I couldn't breathe half the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I used to feel guilty about that, but I now realize that I'm the best mother I can be to my beautiful boy, and I work hard for him because he deserves it, so there's nothing wrong with taking a break here and there (because being a mama is hard work)! Ask ur hubby if he would watch the girls for a while, while u and a girlfriend catch a movie or dinner! Dont beat urself up for feeling like that, ur human and need some downtime!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 3:36 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I do, but he is only 8 wks old. I'm not sure if it will change, but some afternoons, he fights sleep so bad and WILL NOT stop crying. My husband work 10hr shifts, at night, and then has to sleep during the day, so I rarely get a break. My family is in Ohio, I'm in Texas, and his family is in West Texas, so we don't have anyone to watch our baby. If we go, he goes, which is fine, but sometimes I just need a little space. I feel like a bad mom.
    kcurtis28

Answer by kcurtis28 at 6:02 PM on May. 29, 2011

• not really
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2011