My 9 year old is almost 30 lbs over weight!!!!

I was hoping someone can give me some suggestions. I just started running and am planning to run a couple of races this summer to keep me motivated. I suggested to my dd to join me and she was all for running.....but we just came back from a 1.5 run and I feel sooo bad my baby broke down and said i cant do it. I told her we have to continue we cant stop you can do a power walk if you want. The whole time she is telling me I cant ...I hate you. I just kept running where she was within view. Then I thought how can i motivate this girl she seriously needs to lose weight. So I told her I would get her a dog if she gets to a healthy weight. What do you think?? can you give me any suggestions.

jenlesly

Asked by jenlesly at 10:25 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• When my son was 9 he was about the same 30 lbs over weight too. I work and he went the the boys and girls club for daycare it was actually a camp, but i would drop him off then pick him up all in the same day well anyways he swam everyday there. Then when he came home he would swim in the pool and it was only one of those little blue ones you buy for like $250.00. He lost all of the excess. He slimmed right down then at the end of the summer he joined the swim team cause he loves swimmimng so much
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 10:32 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think you should start walking every night after dinner. Make it a time to spend together and talk. She wont notice it's really for exercise. Cut down the juice/soda and any other sugar drinks. Look for healthy snacks to fill the house. 30 pounds overweight at 9 years old can have some lasting health problems. I think it's wonderful that you are trying to help her. You can control what she eats while in your home - just make it healthy. (you can keep any sweets you want in the car - out of sight) Good luck!
    Jakesmommie

Answer by Jakesmommie at 10:41 AM on May. 29, 2011

• A 1.5 mile run seems a bit extreme if she isn't used to active exercise...start off small and work your way up. Or maybe get her involved in a summer sport or two where she can get exercise and have fun with kids her age.

Also, healthy snacks and meals.
    Anonymous

• I would not start with a run that long, especially if she isn't used to exercising. Maybe start with walking, slowly introduce more activities. Also introduce more good foods and healthy snacks.
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 10:25 AM on May. 30, 2011

• start her out small that is too long
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 9:04 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Start her out with small runs or powerwalk with her. Pretend that you are racing her. I do this with my son and he loves it.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 10:13 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Family bike riding is fun too.
    dixiegurl223626

• start slowly
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:15 PM on May. 31, 2011