My 9 year old is almost 30 lbs over weight!!!!

I was hoping someone can give me some suggestions. I just started running and am planning to run a couple of races this summer to keep me motivated. I suggested to my dd to join me and she was all for running.....but we just came back from a 1.5 run and I feel sooo bad my baby broke down and said i cant do it. I told her we have to continue we cant stop you can do a power walk if you want. The whole time she is telling me I cant ...I hate you. I just kept running where she was within view. Then I thought how can i motivate this girl she seriously needs to lose weight. So I told her I would get her a dog if she gets to a healthy weight. What do you think?? can you give me any suggestions.

jenlesly

Asked by jenlesly at 10:25 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• That really sucks because when I was that age, I was overweight and family tried to get me to exercise and tell me "Now don't eat any candy at school today" and all this "helpful shit" that pissed me off. But I got taller, grew out of it and ended up being really skinny. Are you cooking healthy meals? Why is she overweight?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 29, 2011

• why don't you get her the dog first and tell her she needs to take the dog for walks..walking is even good for her
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:27 AM on May. 29, 2011

• i wouldn't have started her off with a 1.5 mile run. i understand you want to be tough on her but you might be so tough that she can't keep up and in turn feels like she can't do it. start with walking or jogging, every evening if possible, just for 15-20 minutes. also monitor her diet. she will get there, but let her be a kid also and don't push too hard.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:28 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Don't make it about weight, that will only make her feel bad about herself. Make it about a healthy lifestyle. For example, if she's not used to running, walk with her. You can't expect her to be at your level if she's not active. Swimming is great low impact exercise. Also, take junk out of the house, don't make a big show of it, when she's asleep trash the junk. You can find great tasty low cal treats online. 100 calorie cupcakes by Curtis Stone were featured on biggest loser. Also, ask your pediatrician on how to approach your daughter. Karate or Tae Kwon Do is also great for building self esteem and discipline. My daughter is overweight, but she is tall, all I do is encourage her to get outside and play, I take her swimming and her dad rides bikes with her. She has not gained any weight and her height is catching up to her weight. Hope this helps.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 10:33 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Get the dog, and tell her the dog need to walk everyday so he can stay in shape too. Also have her focus on water and low calorie snacks. Kids can eat salads, baked chicken with low fat barbecue sauce, fruits etc. You can do a lot to promote a healthy weight for her.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:34 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Kids need to have fun exercising in order to make it a routine. If they hate it, they won't do it. I love the idea of getting her the dog now and making daily walks part of taking care of the dog. Join some sports, go swimming, just get out of the house.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 10:34 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Im trying not to be hard on her. I know its tough that's why i told her to power walk. The over eating and no physical activity is why she is the weight she is. The thing is I work 2 jobs and she is usually home with my older daughter and mom. My little one even eats extra meals. When she was 6 she was having digestive problems and on her own she started to watch what she ate, I was so amazed that at 6 yrs old she became so aware of her eating habits. She managed to get to her average weight but the pounds have just started to accumulate within time. I am definitely going to buy healthier foods and try to monitor as much as I can....Wish me luck and thank you for your input I don't want her to hate exercising. I'll try to lighten up.
    jenlesly

Comment by jenlesly (original poster) at 10:35 AM on May. 29, 2011

• You have to build up exercise gradually. No wonder she hated that run. Poor girl!

I agree that a dog would be good for her. Walking is great exercise.

As far as food is concerned:

Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef
    Fresh Fruit and Vegetables
    Ice Water
    Whole Grains
    Smoothies
    Yogurt
    etc. etc.

If she frequently craves food, have her chew gum. It helps to curb those cravings.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:42 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Just be positive with her, find a physical activity she likes to do, like soccer or softball. Get involved in what she likes, and take shorter jogs/walks.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 10:43 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I totally agree that starting off at a 1.5 mile run was a terrible idea. I am 23, a grown woman, I exercise regularly and I couldn't run 1.5 miles. I ran a half mile once and almost died lol. I'm joking, but I felt like I was. Overexertion is scary as hell.

Start off slowly and work your way up to that with her. Bike riding, evening walks where you race the last block home, maybe a game like something for the Kinect (all of the games for it are quite active, we get tired just playing the adventure game lol). The food thing is important too. Snacks should be whole grains, fruits and vegetables etc, and make a week's menu out in advance and ask your mom to stick to it when she has the girls.

I hope this helps. Just encourage a healthy lifestyle, don't say anything about weight. "We need to get healthier, consider it our family goal."
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:44 AM on May. 29, 2011