Cooking for a crowd

My community is home to about 70 people, and I have taken on the daunting (but exciting) task of getting lunch together 3-5 days a week, and cooking dinner 2-3 nights a week. I have had two successful dinners so far, but I feel like I'm already at the end of the recipes I know that I can adapt. Any caterers or institutional cooks out there have any tips or tricks for me?

Jenny-talia

Asked by Jenny-talia at 10:32 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Hot turkey sandwiches, mashed potatoes, gravy, and a vegetable. Lasagna, garlic bread, and a salad. BBQ beef or pork sandwiches with potato salad and a vegetable. Taco bar with rice and refried beans. Chili and cornbread with a salad.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:40 AM on May. 29, 2011

• find new things to cook on the internet. or you can get a cook book
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I'm sorry, I can't remember the site off the top of my head (but you could probably find it with a quick search :-) ) But I've seen some sites where you can go enter in your recipe and then tell it how much you want to increase it by and it will convert it for you, so you can make it for a crowd. Good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:49 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Baked pasta is always a good crowd food (it doesn't get mushy as much as just boiled pasta would). Meatloaf would be a good thing to cook for a crowd, so would roasting a few turkeys. Any kind of soup is great, you can make several large pots. Baked potato bar would also be good, they are great topped with bacon, cheese, green onions, sour cream, chili, ranch dressing, just about anything. What about grilling burgers (get the preformed burger patties) or hot dogs?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:38 AM on May. 29, 2011

• sloppy joes, chicken and rice, baked chicken, roast beef, soups of all kinds! That sounds like alot of work, are you getting paid? How come no one is at work during lunch? Idk just sounds like a huge task!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I used to be a cook at a Jr.High and we would serve meatball subs w/ marinara , chicken sandwiches, turkey/lettuce wraps, wild rice casserole (you can use brown rice), larger sized baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese, tator tot hotdish, hot ham and cheese sandwiches
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:10 PM on May. 29, 2011

• wherethewayout - how did you handle timing and temps? That seems to be my biggest issue - fear that the ENORMOUS pot of black beans isn't going to come up to a boil, so the heat comes up, which causes a bit of scorching, which makes the whole pot taste funny.
    Jenny-talia

Comment by Jenny-talia (original poster) at 3:52 PM on May. 29, 2011

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:58 PM on May. 30, 2011