My 8 year old wants to be a vegetarian, what vitamins does he need?

I have been a vegetarian off and on for the past few years. My son just announced over dinner the other night that he would like to be a vegetarian. I am fully supportive of him but my biggest concern is him getting the amount of protein he needs and the proper vitamins. Is there a vitamin in addition to a multi-vitamin that he should be taking? What about for protein, I really want to steer clear of the soy products.

momofour09

Asked by momofour09 at 10:53 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Id think just giving him general childrens vitamins and also adding peanut butter to his diet would suffice.

Answer by gemgem at 10:54 AM on May. 29, 2011

• im not sure, were all carnivores around here. sorry
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:26 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I was a vegetarian for years(from about age fourteen to nineteen) and I simply ate a lot of pb, beans, cheese and dairy.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 8:52 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You really need to talk to your pediatrician. If your pediatrician can't answer your questions, ask for a referral to a nutritionist who specializes in vegetarian/vegan nutrition counseling.
    My youngest son became a vegan last November out of the clear blue right before Thanksgiving. The first few weeks were rough, very rough, because I was not educated enough to be able to just popping out vegan meals. I did a lot of research on the internet, called the doctor, and now I work with a nutritionist and found several "friends" on Facebook who have been willing to help me. I can now say that I am quite the accomplished vegan cook.
    Being a vegetarian is more than not eating meat, many do not eat sugar, honey, milk, eggs, cheese, fish, shellfish or any product derived from an animal. Many people call those people vegans, but in the true sense, a vegetarian does not eat or wear any product derived from an animal.
    CurveeDiva

Answer by CurveeDiva at 6:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• you need about 12 grams of protein 4 times a day. lots of eggs and you might want to invest in whey protein powder for shakes since you want to steer away from soy. you can ad some hot chocolate mix or peanut butter or both to make it taste better
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:13 AM on May. 29, 2011

• whey protein powder is a product of cow.
    eggs are meat.
    if you want real answers, go to your pedi. he/she will know what is needed for a healthy young vegetarian.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 11:17 AM on May. 29, 2011

• As far as I know eggs are considered byproduct. I am not trying to feed him a vegan diet nor am I myself going for that so byproduct, dairy and whey (being product of cow and not actually meat or a "part" of the cow) are fine. I do plan on making him an appointment or at least calling and speaking with his PCP. In the meantime though I was just looking for something to make sure he is getting what he needs.
    momofour09

Comment by momofour09 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Just make sure he's getting his protein. My DS (he's 3) is not a big fan of meat other than hot dogs or chicken nuggets. He prefers veggies and fruit, so I just make sure I give him milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, beans, peanut butter, and peanuts.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 1:23 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My kids are not vegetarians and I have them on a complete multivitamin and minerals supplement, Also an omega complex, and calcium supp.

He will need to start eating a variety of legumes. We try to do at least 1-2 vegetarian meals per week (really cuts cost, and I like to break the concept that a meal must have a meat). Usually we look at Mediterranean meals. We have found several yummy recipies that my kids like.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:00 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Talk to a nutritionist to make sure your kid gets all the needed vitamins and nutrients.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:09 PM on May. 29, 2011