Do you spank your kids?

I do! Alot do not thought and I thought it would be a interesting question.

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 11:00 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think the people who can't tell the difference between a spanking and a beating should be grateful they were never beaten. If they were, they WOULD know the difference. DS has been spanked a few times, it's one of about a dozen options. I'd rather swat his butt and save him the burn than sit there trying to bargain with him while he burns himself on the stove.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I never lay a hand on my child!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:01 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I don't. I don't think hitting a person is right, regardless of how small the other person is.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:02 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Our kids are 11 and 16 and though we don't spank anymore (because there hasn't been a reason to in many years) we did when they were younger. Our kids are not violent or aggressive and we never hit them in anger. People need to learn the difference between spanking and beating their kids before they judge others.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:19 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I got spanked when I was growing up.
    I did spank my first who is 5 now, but I found it to be ineffective pretty quickly so we do time outs now, or not being able to play outside for a certain amount of time now that the weather is nice.
    With the 1yo I do smack his hands if he keeps getting into something but not hard. More like batting them than really smacking.
    And, recently my dad sort of apologized for his discipline methods. Not in so many words of course lol he's too stubborn to say the s word (sorry), but he let me know that he would have done it differently
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:40 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I never did there were better ways to get them back in line
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:03 AM on May. 29, 2011

• My younger ones yes if it is bad enough, we do time outs and take aways 1st but then they know if the behavior continues they will get a spanking but my older 2 no, they really don't do anything anymore to be spanked ,grounding and take aways usually do it for them.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:31 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I also want to say, that I was a spanker because of my "religious" views. I truly regret that decision. I tried following what many "religious" people around me recommended, based on how they raised their kids. I always had this gut feeling that made me uncomfortable with it. I wish I would have gone with my instincts. My kids don't seem any worse off for the spanking, but I personally feel that I missed opportunities to teach them, guild them, and build up self discipline in them and myself. Maybe not for all parents, but for me, it felt like with spanking I was taking the easy way out, and still not really accomplishing what I had hoped. But I was young, and dumb... now I'm just a little older, and a little less dumb.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:00 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes we spank! Theres A HUGE difference between spanking and child abuse!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 1:01 PM on May. 29, 2011

• No never. I would never hit my child.

Answer by gemgem at 11:01 AM on May. 29, 2011