Do you believe it is ok to treat a child with ADHD,aUTISM and behavioral disorders with meds.?

My son has these things and i have tried the diet, the ABA, and a long list of things that still leave my son needing something else.Nothing is working.All the teachers and dr.'s say meds. and my heart says it yet I get bashed everytime I talk about it so I was looking for helpful info and to see what other parents think.

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 11:04 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yes. My son has autism and the PhD he was seeing suggested he see a Psychiatrist and be put on meds (since the PhD could not write out Rx's). I decided to try the meds and see if they helped and in my son's case I have noticed an improvement. He is more even tempered, less meltdowns, more calm.... and he is not a 'zombie'.
    I think YOU know your child and the situation best, and you need to do what you feel is best for your child.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:43 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes. If those meds can improve the quality of life for your child and your family, why not? It's selfish NOT to give a child meds when they can help.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:07 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes I do once all other avenues have been exhausted. Have you added Magnesium to his diet? That really helped us alot along with medication. Fish oil tablets also helped.

Answer by gemgem at 11:06 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think their comes a point where all other options have been exhausted. Meds are necessary to help the other methods to do their jobs. Not a permanent solutions in most cases though I am sure there are some that long term meds do become necessary. You do what you feel is best. You know what you have tried and how well it was working. No one can make you feel bad for using you judgement as the person who sees it every day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:07 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I think when you have exhausted all other possibilities to help your child I think it's ok but then to re-evaluate at a later time sometimes I think they outgrow meds
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:07 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes. Absolutely.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 11:14 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes, I do though I also think that it should be used sparingly not as the norm.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:14 AM on May. 29, 2011

• it depends on the situation, not every person is the same. I know some people that have manic depression and bi-polar, some of them definitely need to be on meds to control themselves, others can find other non-medicated ways of dealing with day to day because their cases aren't nearly as severe. the same with the adhd and autism.. some people I know don't have it to the point of needing medication so long as they stick to a game plan, others I know yes they do need it.
    I'm not going to judge anyone that chooses to medicate their children because I don't live with you, I don't know the day to day. I don't fully know the situations.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:46 AM on May. 29, 2011

• sorry, fingers going too fast ... "their" training.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:48 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes! Meds can and will help the situation. We started DD on ADHD meds when shes was 10. It was the best thing we could have done. Her grades improved and she was identified as gifted at school the year we started Adderall XR. We found 'natural' stuff like fish oil helped a lot but DD had sensory issues with the texture of the capsules and refused to take them after a while.

Be aware that what meds work for which child is a matter of trial and error.  Adderall XR was the 2nd med we tried; Concerta helped but she had suicidal thoughts from it.  As she's grown, dosage has had to be adjusted too.  And with generic Adderall XR, we also had issues.  It can be difficult to find the right balance but it does help a lot.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:03 PM on May. 29, 2011