If your DH's family treated you and your AUtistic son like shit what would you do?

Yes, it happens to us daily and well I have had enough. I am about to blow up and was wondering how you would handle it

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 11:06 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• Autistic kids feel when they r not liked. They already have lots if issues they neef to deal with. I have an autistic son. Never would I put my son in a place where hes not wrlcomed. Ever!!. Ur son could have regression. Or more emotional stress. Ur husband should know better. I wiuld ask him wats he thinking. Where is his preorady?? His family or his mom???
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 2:13 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I would sever all ties with them. There is no reason to put you and your child through that. Don't go to their house and don't have them at yours. If your husband wants to associate with them, he can do it without you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:15 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Calmly tell your husband that you don't feel comfortable around his family because of the way they treat you and your son; tell him HE needs to talk to them and straighten them out and if he is not willing to do this then tell him you will not be attending any of his family doings. Don't go to their house and don't have them at yours. If your husband wants to associate with them, he can do it without you.

Blowing up at him may only make matters worse so try to stay calm when approaching him about this. I'm had this with my husband and his family(I don't have any special needs children but they have said and done things that I don't agree with) so I just distance myself as much as possible from them. Good luck and God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• When I first met my mil it happened, but we printed out information for her regarding the disorder and she read up on it. We havent had any issues since then. My mom on the other hand is the person we have the most problems with. She actually told my son at 8 he couldnt come to her house, he was crazy, should be in a mental ward and all that. I moved 8 hours from her and we no longer have a good relationship. She cannot understand why my son doesnt like her.

Answer by gemgem at 11:08 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I would correct them as to how to properly accommodate a disabled child. If they can't get how to deal with him, I would then consider limiting or ending my contact with them. (DD has Aspergers and my sister just doesn't get how to deal with her.  We don't see her too often.)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:53 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Why does your husband allow that to happen? The first thing I'd do is tell the family exactly what my feelings were. I'd be damned if I'd let ANYBODY put my child down no matter WHO they are!!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I would make my husband stand up to the plate and confront his family...

And if he chose not to do that , I would then hit him with the bat.

My Daughter is autistic as well.... No need to say your autistic daughter, she is you daughter and beautiful as that.

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:25 PM on May. 29, 2011

• If hubs family was like that I would tell him flat out that I am sick and tired of putting up with their crap and attitude, and our child does not need to be treated like that. I would let hubs know that unless they change their attitude and shut the F. up, then our child and I are done with them and we have no intention of being around them ever again.
    I think your hubs needs to stand up to his family and tell them that they are out of line, he is sick of them treating you and DS like shit. He also should tell them that if they do not change, then he will have no choice but to cut all contact with them--- as his wife and son (and your feelings) come first!
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:14 PM on May. 29, 2011

• leave and file for divorce on the grounds of verbally abusive husband
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:48 AM on May. 29, 2011