Does it feel like you live in a differant world, because you have a loved one diagnosed with Autism or a life changing disorder?

I have a son with Autism, ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorder, and a hundred other things. It cab be overwhelming at times and feel like we live in a differant universe. I wanted to see if anyone else feels like that.

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 11:10 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yes!!! All the time! I find it so hard connecting to other parents of "normal" children cuz they just don't understand. My son has medical issues and people just don't understand being on guard constantly and checking foods and everything and making sure they have meds, tests, appts, and therapies all under control. It's exhausting!
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:30 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I do not have an autistic child but my hubby's cousin does. She treats her like a normal child only she just goes through the steps over and over where as I would only have to say it once or twice. Because she does that her daughter is more normal than the other autistic children her age (13) so the doctors say.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:57 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes! I have a close friend with a child with Asperger's and we can relate to each other just fine even though our kids are on different ends of the spectrum. Everyone else I know though, they just don't get it. One time my son jumped for the first time, he was already 4 and never jumped before, he barely cleared half an inch, and I called everyone in my family and they were all like, "okay?" but when I called my girl, she was super excited and cheering into the phone and she even teared up a bit because she knew what a great accomplishment that was for him. Very few people understand how hard the kids and parents have to work just to help them with regular milestones and daily functions. So now, when my son has a moment I usually share it with my BFF and his therapist, they understand what universe I live in. ;)
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 12:06 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I don't have a child with it, but I worked for 8 years with and kids who were on the spectrum or had PDD (among other things). It is very difficult for others to understand, especially when they think the child just needs a good a** whipping...lol.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 1:19 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I have never faced it personally, but I worked in the field for 30 years, part of it as a live in houseparent, and I did get tired of all the strange looks and snide comments. I know it's hard, but hang in there. Hope you are in a support group, it can make a big impact.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:17 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes, sometimes it does feel that way. My oldest has autism and sensory issues, (my other 2 have sensory issues as well) so my hubs and I are used to having to change things or do things differently (than parents of "normal" kids) to accomodate our kids and their 'issues'. It can be very draining and frustrating at times to be around people who have no clue what autism is- and they have no idea what it is like to deal with on a daily basis, and they give you "the look" and the snide comments, and think that my child is a "brat who needs a spanking". I'd love for some of them to live my life for just one day....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:49 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I understand entirely my brother is Autistic.
    malexander2009

Answer by malexander2009 at 5:11 PM on May. 30, 2011

• i worked with kids with autism and my nephew has it so i understand
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 6:36 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My son is not austisivc, but he is showing signs of being "gifted" and that can be challenging as well. Make sure you have people who support and encourage you. It is important to know you are not alone, and A LOT of parents deal with special needs children.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 8:41 PM on May. 30, 2011

• there are times it feels that way.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 10:36 PM on May. 30, 2011