Ever get tired of explaining what Autism is to others who are completly ignorant of what it is?

OMG!Even the people closest to my son really do not understand him or his disorder a year later.I talk until I am blue in the face.It happens at the doctors,playgrounds,Wal-Mart, wherever we are as his often has very odd behavior.1Just venting a little I guess!

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 11:14 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I am more tired of dealing with the ones who have their head in the sand and choose to ignore that my son has autism, and how they try to explain away his behaviors. I used to speak up and go into the "he has autism which means...." speech but since they never bother to listen and acknowledge it. When I hear them start in about it I am like "whatever" and ignore them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:37 PM on May. 29, 2011

• No, I don't look at it as them being ignorant, just in need of information.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:18 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Yes i do. I dont explain anymore. I tell them to google it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:19 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Than just smile and let it go... why waste energy and happiness
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:35 AM on May. 29, 2011

• Nope. I just explain it the easiest way I know how, I say look at me. I am a fully functioning adult with autism so stop looking at my child like he is going to be a drain on society. It always works.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:53 AM on May. 29, 2011

• It's a very complex disorder since it's a spectrum disorder and every child is different. But yeah, I can imagine it gets old.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 1:18 PM on May. 29, 2011

• We definitely need more education for the general population on this subject. Good luck to you.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:14 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Try having to explain something that most people have never even heard of; congenital diaphragmatic hernia. I love being able to inform people but it's a little frustrating that people are so in the dark.
    Bubbles318

Answer by Bubbles318 at 11:23 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Just stop explaining it. Tell them to ask if they have specifc questions or to look online for more info.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 1:23 AM on May. 30, 2011

• If you don't like it, stop. Let them wonder.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:08 PM on May. 30, 2011