Garden soil & mulch

I have an empty area where our above ground pool used to be and I plan to move my garden into it. We moved the pool this year to another location so it would basically be in the sun more. Anyway I am going to have to put some garden soil down since the dirt where the pool was in packed down. Should I mix mulch with it? Or just use garden soil? I am growing around 10 different types of veggies if that matters.

Asked by gemgem at 11:35 AM on May. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Garden/potting soil has it in it.. but if you wanna add more that is you thing?

I was listenning to Clark Howard one day (radio while waiting to do carpool), when a caller rang through, to give home owners a warning. His wife had flower beds against the house, used potting/garden soil, and no more plants... so they stopped watering it (common sense, most wouldn't water just dirt). All potting/garden soil are designed like mulch... so like a mulch pile if you don't water/turn it... it will catch fire! (personally I started to think of all the foreclosed homes)... but the gentleman stated they were thankfully home, but those flower bed caught fire!!! Their house wall had to be replaced because once it started it took off fast

I think soil is more than enough... hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:47 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I would try and add some good rich dirt. Garden soil if it's like what buy is mostly compost anyway.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:37 AM on May. 29, 2011

• garden soil and compost. Mulch goes on top around the veggies to keep weeds down and moisture in.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:38 AM on May. 29, 2011

• I would just add some good compost to it.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 11:35 AM on May. 29, 2011

• LOL thanks

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 11:49 AM on May. 29, 2011