For those who make yogurt....

When I make it (boil the milk, add the starter, let it set in the machine for 10 hrs and in the fridge for four) it is plain. But even adding fruit or honey doesn't make it anything but plain yougurt with fruit or honey. The honey just lumps itself no matter how much I mix it and the fruit becomes bitter. How do you get the smooth sweet taste? I've added vanilla bean (no go) vanilla extract (separated the yogurt). Sugar (became gritty) powdered sugar (texture was bad), Steviea (liquid separated) .I've added sugar to the fruit, pulverized it into a liquid and still it won't do much. I've even put jam & mixed it and it comes out like plain yogurt in jam. The more I mix the yogurt the more it becomes like a liquid. (like the Indian drinks). Any idea what I am doing wrong? Any hints?
I have a Sanko machine and the Sanko company is now defunct....
And please don't tell me to buy yogurt. That stuff is nasty...except for Siggies' Icelandic (to us any way).

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 12:14 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• the texture you are talking about is something they add to store yoghurt called pectin, its not all that good for you and what you have is real yoghurt. i would leave it out an hour or two before putting it in the fridge
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 12:26 PM on May. 29, 2011

• *also stick it in the back of the fridge where it is the coldest.
    mrs.pyle

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:57 PM on May. 30, 2011