What's my child's deal? Please help, experienced moms!!

Here's the skinny:

He's 9 mos, breastfed and eating fruits & veggies once at breakfast and once at lunch. He's been going to a baby sitter 2 days a week and has been with dad the other 3 weekdays for two months now while I've been back to work. When I'm home with him he nurses every 2 hours and is getting about 2-3 oz (or at least that's what I'm pumping--I know about those inconsistencies) each feeding.

Most days dad tells me he eats 1 or 2 bottles in the time span of 7AM-4PM. I wasn't worried about him getting enough to eat b/c trust me he's got some to spare, if you know what I mean. Now that school is over and I'm home again full-time, he is refusing to eat from even me. I've tried breast most often, and even attempted a bottle to no avail.

He's fighting sleep and crying for over an hour at a time when we leave him in bed, and I'm not a "cry it out" kind of mom. He refuses to sleep in the crib the last few nights and has found his way into ours again. For example, last night he slept alone for several hours in his crib until we came to bed but as soon as he heard us/woke up to eat, he screamed and would not be comforted in any way until he was next to us.

Is it the 3 teeth he has 1/2 way through at ONCE, or is he weaning himself?? What does weaning from the breast look like from your experience?

Thanks ladies, I just feel helpless. It could be the hormones still, and it could be that I'm feeling insecure about "re-learning his cues"...I know he's had a lot to adjust to, I just don't feel like I'm doing a good job of meeting his needs because I have no idea what they are!

lefultz87

Asked by lefultz87 at 12:19 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is a nursing strike, he is not weaning. Here is a link for tips & help http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html

Anonymous

• Mine was less interested in the breast around that age and I eventually was only nursing him first thing in the morning and before bed. He started sleeping all the way through the night consistently around that same time.
    It's probably a combination of readjusting to the new routine, disinterest in nursing, and the teeth. It will all settle in a few weeks I bet. No phase lasts very long while they are still so young.
    Keep at it! I'm sure you are doing everything just fine
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:29 PM on May. 29, 2011

• One thing I learned wtih my kids, is that when they went through phases, it was best to keep our routine the SAME as it was before the phases. Both my kids went through a phase when they didnt' want to go to sleep. I did let them cry it out, didn't last long. As far as the nursing goes, I dont' know. I didnt' nurse that long with my kids. But i do know that kids are creatures of habbit, so it can be hard for them when their routines are suddenly different
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:34 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Anon, great link! I thought I knew a lot about BF, but apparently not as much as I thought. Wish I had that informtion 5 months ago! Filing it away for future reference...
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:37 PM on May. 29, 2011

• All of the above.

Teething HURTS! so his appetite very well could be off. My kids' appetites were all over the place when they were teething at that age.

Second, you're around more now so HE'S got to adjust to this. His world has changed and he's trying to readjust to Mommy being around when before she wasn't. That's a little hard on the little guy. Give him time and love and he'll get into the swing of things.

Third, he COULD be weaning. Both of my kids weaned at 9 months old. I realized they were done nursing when it became a fight to get either one to nurse for even five minutes on one breast or the other. They didn't want to; the wanted to be able to look around while eating. They would latch on, suck a few times then pop off to look around. OR they would fight me to even latch on by keeping their heads as far away as possible.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:11 PM on May. 29, 2011

• He could be transitioning to you being home full-time again. Its a big jump from Mommy being at work all day to being home. I know that when I went back to work, my daughter went to the sitter and when I was let go she had to get used to me being home again.
    FinalScore1to1

Answer by FinalScore1to1 at 11:46 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Babies don't wean themselves at such a young age. Think about that idea. If babies weaned themselves before they could survive without breastfeeding (or formula) they would die. Bottles can mess up breastfeeding at any age. My DIL went back to work at around 9 months and we fed my grandson solids when she was at work and he never needed any bottles. If you want to bother with pumping then the expressed milk can be served up in a cup.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:02 AM on May. 30, 2011