How do I encourage my toddler to eat food and milk when she is sick?

My daughter is generally a picky eater and I have to run around and feed her. She would not sit in high chair for long.. Even though she goes to a day care where all kids do sit :(
To add to my worry she gets sick every three weeks when she will be cranky.. wont eat food well .. She has sore throat, cold and now cough , top of my worry - she is NOT DRINKING MILK AT ALL.. I tried all sources , bottle, sippy cup, tumbler , spoon ... nothing works..for past 3 days.. Has anyone of you experienced same . I am very frusratated .. as it is she is in 5 %ile in her 18th month.She gains a pound and loses that when she gets sick..
I am at loss of ideas.. what can i feed her to soothe her ... how do I encourage her to drink milk.

Everytime i take her to the doc - past 5 times , she says - she is teething ..
Mannn teething is coming for her to eat well - and is doing exactly opposite of its purpose for past 8 months when it is on its way..
I tried everything .. teething med , tylonol, oragel .. teething rings
Nothing seems to work.

Currently her food intake is half and top of my worry is - she is not drinking milk .. will she start drinking bak after her cold is over ? Pls advise me to help my kid ..

AshitaMamma

Asked by AshitaMamma at 12:52 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give her some fortified juice,, milk is going to make her more stuffy anyway,, sounds like more than teething if she is sick that often, has her ears been checked? My DS needed tubes.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:54 PM on May. 29, 2011

• When she is sick, don't worry about milk or regular meals. make sure that she is drinking enough fluids and water to keep hydrated. Once she is better, then give foods and milk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:02 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Have you tried flavored pedialite? That has a lot of nutrients and taste really good too.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 1:02 PM on May. 29, 2011

• she doesnt have to drink milk, and if she is ill milk will probably make her feel wporse. If you are wporied about the calcuim and protein give her yogurt, when my ss came to live with us at age 3 he refused it, then I told him it was pudding, now he eats it all the time
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:14 PM on May. 29, 2011

•  What kind of milk? Have you done your research on dairy milk? It forms mucous and congestion in the body!  Talk to your pediatrician. If they don't know about goat milk, it is up to you to get answers on what to do to prevent persistent illness and increase her appetite. It takes a lot of energy to digest food so when we are sick we lose appetite because it is a natural instinct to preserve strength for energy to battle germs AND heal.Learn about CPTG essential oils (NOT synthetic ones!) -they can be taken internally, rubbed on the bottoms of her feet, chest or on tummy, AND I'd diffuse them in the air. Private message me if you want to have a conversation about this.

DrMomessentials

Answer by DrMomessentials at 1:29 PM on May. 29, 2011

• when sick milk can make is worse. My girls when have a cold milk would not stay down. Can try pediate or watered down juice or gatorade, jello if old enough to eat, for food try crackers, toast, mashed pts, youguat, dried cereal, pudding, those gerber puffs or gronala bars, ensure drinks for kids. just make sure getting enough to drink. if old enough popslices to lick on might work okay as well.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:17 PM on May. 29, 2011