Should I do this to make her feel better?

My 8 year old daughter (i am 25) has serious medical problems involving going to the bathroom - she's totally incontinent and also has little to no bladder control. Basically she goes to the bathroom the moment she senses the need...she can't hold it. Obviously this creates lots of problems on trips/etc. 

Me and her are going to be going on a very long, 10 hour car trip together...so of course she is going to be in trouble bathroom-wise. She will be wearing diapers and using them throughout the trip, because there's just no other way. I know having to use diapers/etc makes her really, really embarrassed, so I have an idea. Even though I have no trouble holding it and going to the bathroom, perhaps I could wear a diaper and use it just like her? Then she would feel better im sure if an adult like her mother was using a diaper too. 

What do you guys think? I think it would make her feel more "normal." What I would probably do is use the bathroom on designated food/gas stops, but otherwise make no special stops for me to go to the bathroom..and just use the diaper when I need to. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on May. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• they make ones that like like underwear in the personal care section (for adults that have this problem) i wouldnt wear one to ...i would just plan extra stops in to your trip for her and limit the amount she is drinking while in the car...poor kid have you talk to her ped about this issue?....they have medicine she can take to stop this issue

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 1:19 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I don't think, I could do that. It's a sweet idea. But once you get there are you going to continue to ware diapers? To me, its her life and she's 8, shell need to adjust to her own needs.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 1:21 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. She is aware of her condition and it won't make her feel any better about it if her mom wears a 'diaper'.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:31 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I wouldnt.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:12 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Maybe try those pull ups that look like underwear for night time but can wear during the day for your trip, My girl has kidney problems and she wears them, limit what she drinks, make more stops if you have to. Might try award system for you trip and get her a small treat and that might help her try harder to work to be dry, can even buy pottys to take with you in case hard to find a bathroom at the time she needs to go.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:21 PM on May. 29, 2011

• They make pull-ups for older kids. They are a lot thinner than diapers and are almost invisible under clothes. My 9yo son and 8yo daughter are both bed wetters and wear them every night. When my 8yo goes on sleep overs she puts them on before she leaves. Her friends are never the wiser.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:16 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I would not do that.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't wear one. But I would try to make her feel comfortable by being very modest about it.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I dont think I would do that
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:07 PM on Jun. 9, 2011

• I am not sure if I would wear one. I would ask her if she whats you to wear one too and then go from there. It may make her feel bad because she may feel that she is making you have to wear it. If you do, I would get the adult ones for you. For her they make larger kids training pants made for the night that look like underwear,
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 10:26 AM on Jun. 10, 2011