Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 Bumps

What can I do ? ( pregnant teen )

I am 17 and pregnant , my parents do not accept that I am pregnant. They wanted me to get an abortion, but of course I didn't ( & wouldn't), they want me to give her up for adoption when i have her, but I won't.

I am with her father still, he and his family are very supportive - He is 20, has a good job, and is excited about having his first child ( he has been very involved with the pregnancy) ... His parents are also very supportive and also say they are very excited about the baby.

I am in a vocational school ( carreer training) and after finding out that I was pregnant, I talked with a couple people at school and found out that i am able to not only finish my schooling, but i wonly have to go a few hours a day as long as my grades stay up ( i have always had good grades) ... My boyfriend's mother is going to take care of the baby while I am in school, and then I will take care of her after I get home.

of course that is just the plan. His parents also want me to come live with them until after I am 18 and we can buy our own house ( my boyfriend has money put back to do that... but we have to wait until after I am 18 - same goes for us getting married, which we also have planned) ...

The problem is , my parents say since I am only 17 when I have the baby I have to do as they say, meaning I have to come home with them, but the baby will not.

can they do that? they say if i do not come home with them after having the baby, they will get the law involved and make me give my baby up ( either to his family or to an adoption agency) ...

I am so afraid, i feel like I have always been a good girl, I know I am responsible enough and smart enough to take care of MY daughter. Can they really keep me from my baby ?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (25)
  • You make the decisions for the baby. However, if they do not allow the baby into the house, I dunno what to do. Contact social services and ask them. You could also look into emancipation.

    Answer by purpleducky at 1:21 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • you need to go to court and get an emancipation done so that you will be out from under your parents ....but to do this you have to prove you can provide for you and your child ....good luck


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • NO they can not do that. You can become an emancipated minor! I am not sure who you need to talk to though. You have rights as a mother... they can NOT force you to give up the baby at 17!!!


    Answer by Crafty26 at 1:22 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • Sounds like you have a lot going on. Maybe you can look into emancipation? Just make sure you think everything through. This is a huge step in life and having a baby changes everything. Good luck!

    Answer by tspillane at 1:23 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • you make your own desicions your the one that has to live with the desicion not them.

    Answer by yung_mommie313 at 1:26 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • uh, whatever... when you got pregnant you automatically became an emancipated minor and can leave home becacuse you and only you are responsible for that baby.. they can not prevent you from moving out at any time.. you are now an adult-minor and as long as you stay in school keep your grades up and have a safe stable environment for you and the baby nobody can make you return to their home... runaway laws do not apply to 17yr olds and as long as you are doing whats best for your baby by leaving i say do it..

    google the laws in your state, i'm in TX.. or call your local police department they will answer your ???'s according to the laws... get informed babygirl and use the law to your advantage...

    Answer by girlglow6 at 1:31 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • As far as I know, one a woman has given birth she is no longer considered a minor. She is legally an adult. You need to look into the laws for your state. At 17 I highly doubt they can force you to give up your child.

    Answer by cueballsmom at 1:32 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • I would contact social services and ask them what your options are, and what resources are available to you. You may be able to seek emancipation. Also just flat out ask them, if you refused to go home with your parents because they will not allow your daughter to come home, what would the law actually do.

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:33 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • I agree that you should apply with the court for emancipation. Once you do that you can get married. Just go to Legal Aid and ask them to help for free.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:37 PM on May. 29, 2011

  • Don't believe anything they say move in with your boyfriend and cut them out of your life till you feel they are ready to listen and understand you. it's going to be hard but you are doing what is best for you and your little one and that is all that matters. you do not need to be the little girl that does what her parents want her to all the time. it pisses me off when i hear parents threaten their pregnant teens like that it's stupid. if they cared before they should have been more on safe sex birth control. They cant step in after you made an adult decision for yourself and try and ground you.

    Answer by alainalee at 1:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.