Do you do your child's projects for them?

Like a science project? Do you do it for them or do you make them do it themselves?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:25 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Mine haven't had to do any at home projects yet, but I don't plan on doing them for them when the time arrives. I will help them and maybe give them some pointers.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:26 PM on May. 29, 2011

• The only project we have had so far was for my sons 1st grade class, and he did it, but I assisted. I tried my hardest not to make any suggestions unless he asked.... I'll admit, it was hard because he became frustrated, and I really wanted to just jump in and help, but in the end he did a really good job, and he could be proud because HE did it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:28 PM on May. 29, 2011

• depending on the project .....if it overly complected i will help (not do) just help with pointer and tips ......for the most part i want the kids to figure out how to do projects on their own
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 1:29 PM on May. 29, 2011

• No--they did their own projects but if they needed supplies or books, I would buy them the supplies and take them to the Library. Otherwise, they did well all on their own. They were and ARE smart kids. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:33 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Lol, after raising 3 kids I assisted on many projects. 2 of them were famous for waiting to the last minute and then informing me. :-). Thanks for the post it brought back some funny memories. I had them do their projects. I think even if they fail or get a bad grade it is more important that they learn young they are responsible for the choices and efforts they put into anything....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 1:35 PM on May. 29, 2011

• We did a mission project, where we used apple cinnamon oatmeal for stucco, which looked really great until the dog ate half of it! It is the only time I know of where that old excuse was really true. We had to do a state project that included the Grand Canyon. We had to build the entire Tabernacle from the Old Testament, with all of the little sacred accoutrements, and we had to build a toothpick bridge that could actually hold like 8 pounds to get a passing grade. (The winning bridge in the class held 300 lbs!). I do not believe in doing my child's projects, BUT these teachers assign things that there is absolutely no way a 3rd grader could do on their own. I consider these to be family projects, and while my child was expected to take the lead, we helped with materials, support, and execution when she struggled. it's a balance. I think they should do as much as is possible on their own, and you should not fix anything
    DarlaHood

Answer by DarlaHood at 1:45 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Mine hasn't had a project yet but I am excited to help but not do it for her...
    AyamiLove

Answer by AyamiLove at 1:52 PM on May. 29, 2011

• There haven't been any school assigned projects in our house YET, but I'm expecting them next year. I WILL NOT do it for him. I will help with necessary supplies and moral support, but it's HIS project, not mine. Kids really need to learn to sink or swim on their own, and take responsibility for their own actions. We have forgotten that along the way. If we made kids take responsibility again there may not be as many delinquents running around. Ooops, *kicks self off of soapbox*

No, I won't do it for my child, but I will help.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:03 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I always let them do it themselves...I don't even help give answers on homework. I let them figure the answers out and I tell them if they are right or not.
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 2:04 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My son does his own projects and gets mad if I try to help him has been that way since 1st grade and he had a project on owls. I give him his space and will help when he needs it. He has done three projects this year in 3rd grade two for his gifted class and one for his regular class room. He did all on his own and received and A on all of them. They were certainly not perfect but the teachers were more interested in the effort the child put into it. They sent out notes that the child needed to do them with limited help from mom or dad. Some kids projects you could tell mom and dad did and they were not given all the points. Parents complained but the children and parents were warned. They are 8,9 and 10 years old in my sons class and know the rules. At some point the kids need to learn to do for themselves they will learn how smart and creative they are in the process.

chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 2:14 PM on May. 29, 2011