Food or Gas?

Do you ever feel like you have to chose between buying food for the family for the week or buy gas to get where you need to be? I am talking about us that are considered "the working poor" or lower that can't afford to do whatever we want whenever we please

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 1:57 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• yes, many times. Have gone for almost three years now only eating dinner for hubs and me. Often I leave 30-60 min early for work to walk there.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 2:12 PM on May. 29, 2011

• That's when I get out the trusty old Meijer Card! If things get down that low in our accounts, I can use that for groceries & gas. Thank God I dont have to use it that often, but that's why I got the card. Have a garage sale or car pool like you said. There's always ways to make things stretch a little bit. You could also find out if you qualify to receive food baskets from a local church or charity or at least a meal for your family from time to time. Call the United Way to find out. GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:15 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Pretty much the entire time I was raising kids, I struggled. There were times that I was so frustrated. The kids are now adults. I can remeber so many different things because of not having alot of money. Pawning things, cashing in change for Christmas presents, wondering how I was going to juggle everything. We made it through, and you will too. Keep your chin up and focus on the things that matter. You can't buy any of them :-) Good Luck....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:33 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I totally feel your pain, although we have to make sacrafices, I dont know how you feel about getting help from churches, but my church, gives out bread, milk and different items, to fanilies that are struggling, i suggest you call a few and get a hand, it might not be much, but it sure helps bringing in some extra snaks for the kids.. Good luck and I hope things get better for all of us..
    pook003

Answer by pook003 at 12:36 PM on May. 30, 2011

• So because I don't have to decide between buying food or gas, I get down voted?! Yeah...whatever.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:00 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Oh, and MAYBE if Obama agreed to DRILL off OUR shores (and not every other country being allowed to), then SPECULATORS who are responsible for driving up gas prices, wouldn't be having fun at YOUR expense, while making hefty profits themselves!!

Of course, I'm sure half of you think it's the oil companies themselves and the station owners that jack up prices. Maybe y'all should look into such things before letting your emotions get the best of you on election day!!

Besides, do you HAVE to completely fill your gas tank each time...why not just buy $15-20 worth at a time, so you have more money for groceries...and vice versa?! Then instead of driving to the mall, post office, and other such frivolous places, why not buy online AND take advantage of the tax free and free shipping perks or at least carpool with friends to share the expenses?!

And no, I haven't always had money--that's how I learned to "cut corners!" :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:06 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My job pays for the majority of my gas for my work vehicle, so that isn't a problem. But putting gas in the family car is tight sometimes. Not buying food is NOT an option - I will not choose gas over food. But in the same respect, if I don't have gas, I have nothing - we have no grocery store in town, or anything - so if I don't have gas I can't get groceries. DH has taken to working odd jobs to pay for our gas. I got a job this year after being a sahm for over 6 years. Thigns are still tight but not as tight as they would have been if I wasn't working now too.
    Anonymous

• No.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:32 PM on May. 30, 2011