Food or Gas?

Do you ever feel like you have to chose between buying food for the family for the week or buy gas to get where you need to be? I am talking about us that are considered "the working poor" or lower that can't afford to do whatever we want whenever we please

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 1:57 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Travel

• Yes, when we first got married this was the choice nearly every week.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:02 PM on May. 29, 2011

• every day...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 2:11 PM on May. 29, 2011

• All the time! I'm a laid-off single mom of twin teen boys. It's tough these days. And, I'm getting tired of getting dissed by those who don't know what it's like, for saying how difficult it can be.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 3:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Up until about 9 months ago when we bought the house we are in, we were in the same boat. Between rent ($1000) and power bill ($500 on a good month), and all the other bills, we didn't eat much of anything at all.

specialwingz: difficult isn't even the word, it's much more than that. I would stand in the grocery store with my ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese and cry. We didn't qualify for food stamps, we made too much, but the bills were too much. No credit cards, no car payments, no salon visits or nail salon. Nothing, and I mean nothing extra.

I figure it this way, those who diss people for trying to make a choice between necessities, when the you know what hits the fan, they are the ones that will suffer. We already know how to make ramen noodles 101 different ways, are happy to add some ground beef and get excited if we can have 2 hot dogs.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:09 PM on May. 29, 2011

• @attap5 - I'm in that line with you mama! Yep, never knew I'd get to be so creative with ramen noodles and mac 'n' cheese! LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:18 PM on May. 29, 2011