How is YOUR parenting style different from your parents?

I believe a lot of us purposely change our style (even in the smallest of ways) from that of our parents. How is yours different from the way you were raise?

My parents both worked and seemed to never have time to drive us (we lived in the country) to all the activities that my friends participated in. I make it a point for my child to participate in anything she is interested in even though I am a working single parent AND live the exact same distance from "town."
What about you?

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 2:27 PM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I like my kids my mom never liked me at sll
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:29 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I changed about 50% of my style.

Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 2:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• But WHAT did you change Betutah?
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Everything I do is the opposite of what my mother did. The only similarity was that we both breastfed. It was the only thing she ever did right.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:46 PM on May. 29, 2011

• my parents were authoritarian & im authoritative. basically, my parents never explained why we were being punished, so i try my best to explain to my DD why she's in trouble. im also way more affectionate w/ my kids...my military dad didnt do hugs & kisses.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:05 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My mom believed in giving a baby cereals at an early age and feeding babies table food by the 6th month. She believe in giving whippings at punishments(Get three switches and braiding them up and wearing you out).
    These or the things that I don't do and will not do.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 3:05 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I DON'T abuse my child, physically or emotionally, and I don't tell him that he ruined my life. I DO tell him every day that I love him, and I hug and kiss him all the time.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:09 PM on May. 29, 2011

• ALOT! For one I don't beat my kids. I love my kids and I tell them that all the time. I also let them know when I am disappointed or upset with them.
    sweet2bmom

Answer by sweet2bmom at 4:03 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I actually know what my kids are doing, where they are (most of the time, can't control what they do at friends' houses)and know basically who they are. I am there for them and try to be open with them about any and all questions they have about things.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:48 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I give my children a little more freedom and let them explore the world a little more. Don't get me wrong, I practically lived in museums as a kid, but I don't hide all the bad things from my children. Everything is explained. Not that I expose them to drug addicts or anything like that, but if there is a car accident, I don't make them hide on the floor so they can't see anything. I also do everything holistically and do not administer medications or immunizations and homeschool my children. I lived at the doctor when I was a child and I think I was so sickly because every little cough I was at the doctor. I grew up to do it opposite from my mother and not only do I have no health issues other than migraines at 45 years old, but have raised 3 children to adulthood with no health issues and an 8 year old that has been sick with a stomach virus only 3 times, no ear infections or anything.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:01 PM on May. 29, 2011