At what age did you let your dd shave her legs? Or what age you think is a good age?

I was just thinking about that. My dd is only 6 so I know she is to young now, but realized it would probably be within the next few years. What age should girls start to shave?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 2:35 PM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• i started showing interest in middle school, i had the "but everyone else is doing it" mindframe. i didn't want to be the only girl in p.e. class wearing shorts with hairy legs. i was probably around 11. my mom showed me how to do it and everything. so i think whenever she starts showing a heavy interest in it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:38 PM on May. 29, 2011

• When my niece was 10, I bought her VEET. It came with something like a razor, except the "blade" part of it was rubber. She used that for a while until she actually started shaving.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:42 PM on May. 29, 2011

• my daughter is 9 and i just started letting her, for me it was an issue of when it became some that she noticed and once she asked i would decide if i thought she was ready. im actually kinda sad that she wanted to shave but i completely understand why she wanted to, she is a bigger girl and has self esteem problems anyway and she was getting darker hair on her legs and armpits and since it is going to be summer i didnt want her to be emberassed wearing summer clothes, like tank tops and things like that. but its totally a personal decision between you and your daughter and every child is different so keep that in mind when the time comes....
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 2:43 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I think when it starts to bother them. I remember I was 11.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• When they show an interest. Usually around middle school years.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:48 PM on May. 29, 2011

• when the hair is noticable
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:48 PM on May. 29, 2011

• First poster is right it would depend on the age your DD starts showing interest.
    I'm a mother of two boys. So I can only tell you my own experience. I used to practice sports including basketball, swimming soccer. I remember wearing shorts and socks (knee level) and I never felt the need of shaving until when I met my DH. My DH shaved my "virgin legs". LOL
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:48 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My daughter is very hairy, as was I at her age. I started shaving my daughter's lower legs for her when she turned 8. She had been bugging me for a while since some kids made fun of her and she was very self conscious. We tried nair but even the sensitive skin one burned. I didn't want her using a razor on her own yet. We do it once every two weeks or so and have her sit in some shorts on my bathroom counter.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 2:49 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Unless they have a lot of hair that causes embarrassment for them, I say about 11 (I used to say 12 or 13) :-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:00 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My oldest will be 11 in a month and she has absolutely no need to shave. Her hair is blond and you can't see it at all on her legs. I don't think she really has any. When it gets noticeable and it bugs her she can start. I was 12 1/2 and in between 6th/7th grades. I just figured it out on my own. No one showed me and I never thought to ask my mother. It wasn't rocket science.
    My daughter will probably wait until she absolutely can't stand it or hide it anymore. she has very little to do with personal hygiene. She hates showering and washing at all. There is always dirt under her nails and her hair is always matted and gross. She's too lazy to take up shaving every other day or whatever.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:29 PM on May. 29, 2011