Is it ok that I just found DH giving 3 mo. old DD tastes of apple?

Can her little tummy handle that yet? She wasn't EATING it, she was licking it & smiling. :) I saw her suck on it a couple of times though... and he kept doing it, and I don't know how long he was doing it before that. She seems fine... but I stopped him because with DD#1 she got NOTHING but boob until 5 months old. (I was gonna wait until 6 mo but she was DEFINITELY ready - grabbing my spoon & almost feeding herself!!)
Anyway what do you think?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 2:45 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The baby will be fine just make sure nothing solid comes off of the apple they are just liking the flavor I'd rather them taste an apple than candy. She will be fine ;)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:48 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I agree with Butterfly
    As long as the baby is not swallowing pieces of apple. Sucking on it is ok.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:52 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I fed all 4 of mine everything right from the start. It actually saved my first one's life because she had colic and a loose sphyincter muscle in which she would vomit everything liquid. Three of them are grown now and not one of them has had any gastric problems or anything else for that matter. No allergies either.

What do you think women did in the dark ages who couldn't breastfeed? There wasn't formula, they had to feed their babies somehow. Realize that when you go to the doctor, HE will suggest what formula for your baby. That is because the formula companies give big incentives for pushing theirs. The doctor can't say different if you breastfeed because it wouldn't make sense why a formula fed baby couldn't eat real food.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:33 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I think ur baby will be ok, but I wouldn't give her anything like that until she was at least 6-8 months old! Ur not really even supposed to feed them baby food till 4-5 months! And FYI, when u do start feeding her that kind of stuff, apples r a huge no no! #1 choker!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 3:47 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I dont think its a problem its the stuff thats prederved in the bottles for years thats the problem....Fresh Fruit and veggies is no problems as long as its just for taste
    johnsonbaby03

Answer by johnsonbaby03 at 6:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• WELL I LEARNED THE HARD WAY IT WONT HURT THEM BY GIVING THEM LITTLES TASTES OF "ADULT FOOD" I USED TO GET SO MAD AT MY SISTER CAUSE SHE WOULD TRY TO GIVE MY SON A TASTE OF SUCKERS, CHOCOLATE, MASHED POTATOES ETC...MORAL OF THE STORY I WOULDNT LET HIM HAVE ANYTHING AND NOW HE IS THE PICKIEST EATER HE DONT LIKE ANYTHING.....WHEN I HAD MY DAUGHTER I LET HER HAVE THOSE THINGS SOMETIMES AND SHE EATS EVERYTHING VEGGIES AND ALL
    triplettmommy08

Answer by triplettmommy08 at 8:34 PM on May. 29, 2011

• she should be fine. I would prefered applesauce but as long as she doesnt get any chunks she should be just fine. My boys started baby foods early, dd is 4 months now and were on baby foods too
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:47 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I would say starting that early as a BFing mom is an iffy topic!! She may start wanting food and boobie juice. Her belly should be aright...but apples do have some acids in them. Just watch her!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 12:09 AM on May. 30, 2011

• She was fine, thanks ladies! I just know that their little digestive systems aren't ready for anything more than boobie or formula yet, and I wasn't sure if I'd have a sick baby on my hands, or what to do about it if she did get sick. :( Thanks again!
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:59 AM on May. 30, 2011

• My hubby did that also! I made him stopped as soon as I caught him. it didn't bother her stomach. Hopefully she won't have a stomach ache.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:47 PM on May. 29, 2011