My daughter Allie was just recently diagnosed with Aspergers. How can i handle the temper tantrums and breakdowns better? and they last for hours sometimes how can i make it shorter and easier?

melissakmarsh

Asked by melissakmarsh at 2:59 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• The best way is to stand your ground and let your child know that there are consequences. Don't use the Asperger's as an excuse. Be strong in your parenting, and let your child know that you are in control.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:09 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I am Mom to a son with PDD-NOS and I own a company that manufactures items for these kids. She isn't doing this to cause trouble. Her brain isn't wired right..things misfire and it causes a lot of frustration for the child. There are ways to help. Have you started any occupational therapy? Are you using any weight therapy? A weighted blanket or vest? If not, please look into it..they work miracles. It will also help to have a quiet place in the house for her to go to when she has a meltdown...not just her room..more enclosed..my son used to go to our pantry. I kept a blanket and special toy in there for him.

I'll be happy to share more if you want to message me.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:41 PM on May. 31, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Redirect her attention lovingly and firmly.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My son has aspergers. He is in therapy for anger management and he is on meds. They seem to be helping as his meltdowns are fewer, not as bad and not as long. The therapist has given him ways to recognize his anger, and how to do 'self calming' techniques to calm himself down. When he has a meltdown he has a designated 'safe room' (his bedroom or the bathroom) and he goes in there to calm himself down. I have learned that when he is in 'meltdown mode' it is best to leave him alone and not talk to him (that will just provoke him and make him more unreasonable and make it last longer). Then once he is calm we talk about it, and see what set him off. if it is something simple that can be changed (like light bothering him when he is trying to sleep- for example) we find ways to change it (in this case turn off outside light and he wears an eye mask to bed). Otherwise we figure out ways for him to cope with the issue.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2011