Do you discipline other people children?

Like family members or close friends? My sister got mad yesterday because I popped her 5 year old daughter on the butt. I was at the kitchen table doing some homework, while my sister was on the computer. Dh and her husband was in the living room with the kids. I had been telling my niece to sit down(running through the house) and play with some toys are read a book. She is at the point where she doesn't want to listen to anyone. All the while her mom was just sitting there like it wasn't fazing her. Well she decided she was going to climb onto the bar to get to the kitchen. i told her to get down(my ds like to follow and mimic her every move). She just gave me this look like "You can't tell me what to do, you are not my mom". i told my sister to talked to her. But it was no use, she let her get away with anything. I looked up again and they both was on the bar on all fours. I told them both to get down and gave both a swat on the butt. Ds went on about his business(was not hard at all), but my niece started crying. All of a sudden my sister wanted to know what happened. I told her she started screaming to her husband and daughter to hurry up they had to go and stormed out the door. My mom called me later and asked me why I popped my niece and that my sister was upset.

So do you guys discipline other people children? What are you thoughts about it?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 2:59 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If its family I dont see a problem, I do it to my nieces and nephew when their parents dont. How their kids act effect how mine act and they need to know in OUR house its OUR rules. We still love them, their family, but we expect them to act right. Now other peoples kids thats different. If they act up at our house I'd have their parents deal with it, if they wont, its time for them to leave.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 3:05 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I understand the urgency of the intervention. But I don't think you are in the position of physically punishing your niece. Think about the way you would felt if you knew that your sister was putting her hands on your children.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 3:05 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i'd rather someone do or say something then and there instead of waiting for them to break a bone or whatever.

so yes, i do dicipline other children, although it's rare, but in your situation, i would have done the exact same thing.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:17 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Kids in our family (both sides) know - any aunt, uncle, grandparent, or cousin over 14 has spanking privileges. As a result, they are barely used. Knowing they're in a situation where they can and will be punished accomplishes a lot more than the spanking itself.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:33 PM on May. 29, 2011

• LOL she's mad?? sooo....looks to me like you'd have gotten in trouble either way...a pop on the butt got you in trouble, if she fell, you'da been in trouble for not getting her down. tell your sister to get over it, at least she didn't fall and break an arm!

as for you question, yes, i do with really close friends, and family. i normally have to do a verbal warning if the parents don't notice something though, because everyone i know doesn't just sit there and let their kids do anything they want. if they don't see something and it's brought to their attention, whether i tell them or they hear me say something to the child, they take over. now, there has been times my sister has popped my kids on the butt. she's not married, no kids, ect., and normally people would flip out about how she knows nothing about kids, should she punish, blah blah blah...but if my kids do something i'm not aware of and needs attention right away
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:14 PM on May. 29, 2011

• PS...I wouldn't have swatted...but time out or putting her back with her mother would be my options! lol
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 3:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• It a child is in danger or if he is endangering your own child, I see nothing wrong with what you did. It probably made your sister mad because it showed her up! She should have done it herself.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:28 PM on May. 29, 2011

• You should have popped your sister instead!! You never touch someone else's child, ever. Your sister was the real problem.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 3:30 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Oh no one better lay a hand on my child. We do not spank or 'pop on the bottom' or whatever else you want to call it. Yes, please, if you see my child doing something dangerous, stop her, just not by hitting her because there is a good chance that you'll be the next one to be hit.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 3:49 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i have and do discipline really close friends/family kids.. but not with spanking unless they are my own.. i would have taken her kid sat her in her mama's lap and said either control your kid or leave..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 4:04 PM on May. 29, 2011