What is the age that babies can go swimming???

kristianmommy

Asked by kristianmommy at 3:06 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friend has her 8 mo old son in a mommy and me swim class, so at least 8 mo
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:06 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I didn't know there was an 'age'. We had all of my kids in a pool at 6 months. As long as the water isn't too cold, or too hot if heated it should be fine. we used to put long sleeves on them in the summer to help cut down on sun exposure, always a hot too.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:09 PM on May. 29, 2011

• *hat
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:11 PM on May. 29, 2011

• if my baby is 7 weeks old, can he go swimming???
    kristianmommy

Comment by kristianmommy (original poster) at 3:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Your baby lived in water for 9 months. There are also water births. Being in water is natural. I put all of mine in right from birth. They are all swimmers and swam at an early age. Just be careful though if you put your baby in one of those floaties, I noticed last year that there were a couple we had that would tip over at the slightest movement. 7 weeks is not too early.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:19 PM on May. 29, 2011

• thank you.... that is reassuring... i want him to enjoy the water like i do...
    kristianmommy

Comment by kristianmommy (original poster) at 3:21 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I read online that it's best to wait 2 months to let baby in the pool. Even though you may think it's clean, it's better to be safe than sorry.
    ours

Answer by ours at 3:59 PM on May. 29, 2011

• GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:31 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I used to teach swim lessons at my local YMCA. We have Water Tot classes for babies as young as 6 months. I also remember the doctor saying it's better to wait to submerge baby in ANY water until the umbilical cord has fallen off and the area is completely healed. The pools around here are kept between 80-85 degrees. MANY babies, from skinny-mini's to Michelin man babies, aren't able to last very long in that water because they're still learning to thermal regulate their own bodies and it IS fairly cold some days.

Things that help keep them warm: adult swim cap on their head to help keep heat in, baby wetsuits (love these), layers (Cotton is supposed to make them colder faster, but a double layer of Gerber onesies kept my daughter warm), rashguard swim shirts.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:34 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My grandmother was a labor/ delivery nurse & also taught parent/ infant water classes. I know some parents may frown on this, but they would actually start the newborns swimming at around 3 weeks, especially babies born early. She says it helped babies adjust to the environment better because it made them feel like they were still in the womb. But, I think Rosehawk has very good tips!!
    kcurtis28

Answer by kcurtis28 at 12:04 AM on May. 30, 2011