Sweaters for dogs.

My mom insists that her half-breed"outdoor" terrier NEEDS to wear a sweater during cold weather. He is an awesome dog that bites "bad men" lol, he is so "macho" and he looks like a dork in a sweater and I really think he feels like a dork lol!. He usually chases the mailman and UPS man and acts like the man of the house, but as soom as I put that green sweater with snowflakes on him, he kinda becomes a "closet dog". It almost looks like he's embarrassed! He wants to sleep and stay in....... Could this be possible?

Asked by Gigi1969 at 3:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pets

• He probably just doesn't like how it feels on him, so he acts differently.

Side note: I make fun of people who put their dogs in sweaters! LOL

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• He probably wants to sleep because he's so overly warm his metabolism slows down! I don't really think dogs have the capacity to know if they look silly or not, but they do know when people are laughing at them. You might remind your mother that dogs have fur, that is their "clothes" they don't need anything additional unless they are going to be outside for hours in sub-zero weather when they are used to being inside.

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• if it is a dog that spends most of it's time outdoors, then most likely he wouldn't need a sweater. if he is a small breed, or has short fur, it would be a good idea to put one on him. if he spends a lot of time indoors as well as out, then only put the sweater on him outside- his body doesn't need the extra warmth if he's inside. if he's sulking around outside with the sweater on, then try without it- he may still be hot. most dogs get a "winter" coat of sorts that helps protect them from the elements, so if you think he doesn't like the sweater, then take it off. poor thing prolly is feeling embarrassed!

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Um...he's an outside dog? His body possibly built up an immunity to the cold. Inside dogs...they might need a sweater if they are a shorter haired dog.

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Thanks ladies for the insight! I appreciate it.

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2008