Washing in Cold

Has anyone else heard that if you wash things in hot water with bleach it doesn't get things nearly as clean because the water doesn't get hot enough to kill the bacteria. And that the best thing to do is to wash in cold water because it kills the bacteria. My MIL told me this about a week ago.

malexander2009

Asked by malexander2009 at 4:05 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I don't know about that, but I wash everything in cold with Coldwater Tide free for HE machines. I add tea tree oil to all the clothes to kill germs.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:07 PM on May. 29, 2011

• No. I just always wash in cold water because it's more environmentally friendly. The temperature in the dryer gets hot enough that I'm pretty sure bacteria won't make it.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 4:07 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I would think the opposite - that hot water and bleach would be enough to kill bacteria - but, no, I never heard that.
    Anonymous

• I've never heard that. I use cold water for everything, though. It keeps the power bill down.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 4:08 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I wash with cold water for the environment and the low electricity bills... I seriously had no clue about that... I always thought it was the opposite o.O nice to know :D
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 4:10 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Never heard of that, but we use cold water already.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:12 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Wash in cold water due to elect. Bill.
    Wouldn't it depend on what tempature setting your water heater is set at..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 4:15 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Cold water does NOT kill bacteria.
    Anonymous

• I wash everything but whites in cold water. I found that I get most stains out. I've done this for over 25 years and I do not pretreat, soak or even get my laundry done on a daily basis. Cold water does not kill bacteria. And unless someone is ill and the germs need to be killed, it's actually healthier to be exposed to some germs and bacteria for a natural immunity. People who sterilize and sanitize everything tend to be sicker and have more allergies.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:54 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Cold water does NOT kill bacteria. Your MIL is misinformed. Hot water and bleach is plenty enough to kill bacteria. We use cold all the time though, since it's easier on the wallet AND the environment.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:25 PM on May. 29, 2011