Before I get my first tattoo ever, how do I know I'm not allergic to the ink?

What's in it? Do they all use the same stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Health

• ooh good question. My friend got a tattoo and was only allergic to the pink ink. It was very strange. The black stayed but the pink continually scabbed over til her body basically pushed it out of her body. the black is still all in there perfectly. And she has other colors on a diff tattoo that she had no problems with, just the pink was a problem. She said it didnt hurt, it was just weird.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:27 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Maybe go to a tattoo artist and ask to do a small line somewhere so see if your allergic. Make the line no more then a half inch. Or they may have others ways of testing it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:50 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I don't think you really know unless you do it. I'm tatooed all over and have never had a problem, but a friend of mine has. Like Cassie said, my friend was only allergic to one of the colors. Sometimes ppl have reactions to the ink, but it is always fixable, it may be a little ugly for a while when it is healing!!
    kcurtis28

Answer by kcurtis28 at 6:08 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I have a metal allergy and was told not to get black or blue tattoos because they contain metal. Cobalt to be exact. So if you're allergic to metal then don't get that.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:56 AM on May. 31, 2011