When should I get her hair cut?

My daughter is 20 months old. She has never had a hair cut. Her hair is pretty thick, starting to get long and wavy. It's so wavy though that it looks shorter than it is....dry it hits her shoulders and wet it's well down her back. He bangs or lack there of completely cover he eyes so I always have to pull her hair back (she hates it) but I don't know If I want to cut her hair :( I don't want her to look like a boy...should I get it cut? Any tips on what I should specifically ask them to do to her hair styling wise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take a few inches from the tips.
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 4:58 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Do what's best for your child. I have thick, curly hair and every morning my mother and I fought until I was big enough to fix my own hair. Until she's old enough to make her own decisions do what causes the least amount of pain for all of you.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 4:58 PM on May. 29, 2011

• you could always just trim her bangs? and layers help with thick hair!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:09 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My daughter has long, thick curly (ringlets) hair. DO NOT just get the bangs cut, it's a disaster. At least it was for us. She's 4 and dry her hair is a couple inches past her shoulders. Wet, it's 3/4 down her back. We her her hair cut in layers. It helps make the curls curlier and keeps the tangles at the ends to a minimum. She's due for another haircut, but after the stylist suggested it brushing her hair was super easy. Before, even with detangler spray, it was a tear-filled, screaming nightmare. And THAT was when I was being careful and gentle too.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:10 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Best detangler spray: Target brand leave in. It works better than the Johnson & Johnson brand. I can't find a link to the Target brand, but they're both usually in the baby section and the Target one is white with an orange top. I've used both and like the Target stuff better, so does a friend of mine.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:13 PM on May. 29, 2011

• LOL finally found the Target Brand

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:16 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Whenever you think she needs one. You could always just have the tips taken off and have her bangs cut (if that is what you want) I had my 3 year olds cut for the first time when she was 2 and a half (her hair just wouldn't grow, lol) and I had to have my 22 month olds cut before a year old because her hair was out of control! Its all on what you are wanting :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:28 PM on May. 29, 2011

• hmm.. it depends on how much time or effort you want to put into your childs hair. You can get the bangs trimmed, but be warned, if her hair is curly you'll have two options.. have poodle curly bangs from the 80's.. or invest in a straightener for her bangs (this is what I do with my daughter). So it's something you'll want to consider when getting her hair done. Layers to help thin the hair (be sure you say you want her hair thinned out though), will help the curls look more natural. The best way to help with tangles is knowing how to properly comb them out.. invest in a wide tooth comb first. Start at the ends and work your way up. (hold the hair section you are combing so you aren't pulling from the scalp which is why most kids cry. a Detangler is great to
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i just trim my dds hair every few weeks when the ends become strayed or split.it promotes hair growth too.once you cut the ends it will look better and healthier

twolilgirls712

Answer by twolilgirls712 at 6:01 PM on May. 29, 2011