Dd broke arm, had a splint now but getting case on tuesday. advice...

She has had it in a splint to allow room for swelling. she isn't really able to do much right now... shower, use the bathroom without help, ect... Just wondering if it will get easier once she has the actual cast on.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 5:00 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• how old is she?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 5:01 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My dd broke hers when she was almost 4. She had to have surgery though and pins in her elbow so it sounds different. It was better once the cast was on. You just have to make them comfortable as much as possible, have indoor games for them to do, movies, and all of that.

Answer by gemgem at 5:01 PM on May. 29, 2011

• ive never had a cast but i know they start to smell and crap cause you can't clean the dead skin. if possible i would exfoliate the area before getting the cast, it might put off the smell a little longer! :P good luck!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:07 PM on May. 29, 2011

• ooh and my neighbor, when he broke his arm, they put a bread bag over it and duct taped the top around his arm so it wouldnt get wet in the pool, so maybe that would be a good idea for the shower etc
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:08 PM on May. 29, 2011

• She is 11.
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 5:35 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My son broke his arm when he was 6. They gave him a cast that was water proof so he was able to bathe with it and everything, which did make things a bit easier. He broke his left arm and he's right handed...so it could have been worse.
    Over a couple weeks she'll more than likely get more used to it and adapt. But there will be times when it drives her insane from the itching. Especially when its hot! :( Poor girl, hope she heals quickly!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:40 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I broke my wrist when I was 7 months pregnant with my youngest. It took a little bit, but I was able to a lot with the cast on - including bathroom, showering with no help. it was interesting with the growing belly.

My doctor had me carefully wash the wrist really well with antibacterial soap each time she put the cast on - she changed it at 2 week intervals, so it didn't get too smelly. And thankfully it was in the winter, so it wasn't as sweaty.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:41 PM on May. 29, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011