What's the best toddler float/ learn to swim thing you have found?

my son is 3 1/2 and after spending the weekend at the pool he really wants to learn to swim so he can venture out a little further! What is the best thing you have found?

clo1988

Asked by clo1988 at 5:20 PM on May. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm going through the same thing, no advice, but here's a bump.
    marieadams

Answer by marieadams at 5:24 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I used to instruct swimming Floaties can be dangerous, I can only suggest a life jacket.

Babies can learn to swim very easily and should be watched by an adult in the water with them at all times.

My suggestion is to bring your baby to swim class and keep a life jacket on him/her at all times while in the water.
    KrisE59

Answer by KrisE59 at 5:28 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Water wings. They will teach him to kick his legs to get around the pool and be sure your encouraging him to go underwater so he can learn to hold his breath.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:28 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I taught all 5 of my kids to swim without the help of a professional instructor, the youngest being 2y3m. As long as you are paying attention to your child in the water he/she will be safe in the water.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:36 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My biased answer because I worked there: YMCA lessons. At 3 1/2 he would be in a "Pike" class with a 5:1 ratio, max. I LOVED teaching his age, but when we moved the commute vs. pay did not compute so I regretfully quit. Most YMCA's have a scholarship program that will help defray the cost, if you're low income. Also, if you ever get a call asking you to donate DO IT, the donations go back into the programs and help kids, teens, adults and families participate in the programs that are offered. *kicks self off of soapbox*
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:07 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Stearns Puddle Jumper. My son is 2 and we've been through tons of floaties until we finally found one that works. It's an approved life vest (so found in the boating section at WalMart) but made differently to allow for movement of the arms and legs. My 2 year old has learned to use his arm and legs to move himself where he wants to go in the water and the puddle jumper just helps keep his head above the water.

Answer by missanc at 7:51 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Lessons from a certified instructor.
    Anonymous

• I'm not interested in putting him in lessons. He is autistic and has a hard time understanding and communicating with people so it would just be very stressful for him. I watch him at all times but he doesn't want mommy holding his hand while he try's to play with the other kids. Thank you for the ideas!
    clo1988

Comment by clo1988 (original poster) at 9:44 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Swim Lessons!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:04 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Just an idea - our city parks and recreation department has lessons specifically for kids with autism. My oldest has taken several sessions, they are all one on one or one to three depending on the child's needs, and the instructors are understanding of autism and have been doing it for a while - they are great (my oldest has autism). You might want to see if your local Parks and Rec department has a similar program (and they usually have scholarships if it costs too much)

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on May. 30, 2011