At what age?

At what age do you think a little girl should start shaving armpits and legs? My dd is almost nine and just got some hair under her arms. She has been using a deodorant for over a year now. However, I wonder if I should help her to learn to shave her armpits and legs. She is very hairy on her legs and tells me that the kids at school make fun of how hairy she is!

Ashoonik

Asked by Ashoonik at 5:28 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think its a personal choice between you and your daughter. Ask her if she would like to learn how to shave. My best friend has an 11 year old daughter and she has really hairy legs too and the kids at school would make fun of her so her mom showed her how to use Nair hair remover and has been using that since she was about 9.
    Hope this helps...good luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:31 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I would start when she says she is embarrassed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Its really up to you because you know her best. I would think probably around 10. I know how hard it is to deal with kids making fun of you but on the other hand I would hate for her to something just because of other children, ya know the whole peer pressure thing. A little tip on the deodorant, it is best to use just deodorant, not anti-persperiant. Its more expensive but getting the natural ones are best. They don't have the aluminum in them. :)
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 5:37 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I told my dd that she had to start shaving her under arms as soon as hair started to grow. imo, its so nasty not to. I think she was 10. She is 11 now and is terrible about keeping her legs shaved but her under arms are always shaved.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 5:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i would advise a sincere heart to heart with your child and find the safest method if she wants to. summer would be a great time to try out if she wants to or not. set limits on shaving at first like how far up the leg, etc. chemicals are not healthy but you should be able to find great safe hand shavers. if there are other little ones sharing the shower/tub then insist on a safe place for shaver, cream. keep the communication open so if she has problems or more questions she will come to you. This will also help on other topics you want her to come to you for. have patience and don't let anyone in the family tease her.
    ClaudiaJ

Answer by ClaudiaJ at 5:51 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I think when the hair starts to come in under her arms is when she should start to shave, as for the legs, the day the teasing started she should have started.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:30 PM on May. 29, 2011

• My daughter got an eletric razor from Grandma for her 13th birthday. She started shaving her legs, but just recently started shaving her armpits because I noticed she has hair there and was starting to wear tanktops, as I didn't want anyone to tease her.

I actually like the electric razor she got, it is the first female shaver that I have used that I like....I even grab it once in awhile to use.
    OctMommyof3

Answer by OctMommyof3 at 12:12 AM on May. 30, 2011

• Thank you ladies for all your comments and inputs. Wow! It seems like she's gotten her armpit hair too early according to what you ladies are telling me, but she does have a couple of friends who have more hair than she does in their armpits! She does use a natural anti-perspirant, without aluminum. I think depending on how she feels this summer wearing tank tops I may start the shaving of the armpits then. I think that might help her perspire less too. As far as the legs, I'll try to wait a little longer, unless the teasing gets worse. It's so sad that girls start everything so early nowadays. I didn't start shaving until 13 myself, but then we used to start puberty later when I was a kid. I would like to know what the brand of that electric razor is OctMommyof3. :)
    Ashoonik

Comment by Ashoonik (original poster) at 2:44 AM on May. 30, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i shave my dd legs for her i am too scared to let her do that she hasnt gotten any under her arms so ill wait and see when that comes about
    budda646

Answer by budda646 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2011