Now, I know your breastmilk doesn't just dry up, and for the first 6 weeks I had an abundance, but now I'm hardly producing any... please help...

Along with breastfeeding, I could still pump up to 24 ounces a day, now I'm lucky to get 6 ounces...

I drink plenty of water, maybe too much...

kcurtis28

Asked by kcurtis28 at 5:50 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The amount you pump does not give you a good idea how much you have.. I was able to pump at first, then nothing, then back to pumping a good amount.. It just kept changing on me.. Is baby on the breast or bottle?? If baby is on the breast and nursing to satisfaction as well as gaining weight with 6-8 wet diapers a day; your supply is fine.. Baby is soo much better at getting the milk than a lot of pumps.. Now if you bottle feed, try increasing your pumping times.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:57 PM on May. 29, 2011

• 6oz is great. Are you feeding on demand? What is your diet like? That plays an important part in producing milk. There is a great breastfeeding group on here. To build my supply up I ate oatmeal everyday, I took milk thistle and fenugreek. Drinking a beer also help.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 5:57 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I was only able to pump an ounce, maybe 2oz if I was lucky. But dd was still getting enough on the breast. Don't base your supply on your pumping.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 6:00 PM on May. 29, 2011

• your supply regulates around 6 weeks, so this is perfectly normal. Your body starts out able to feed triplets, but once your supply tapers off to meet demand, you will pump less, be less engorged, etc. How much you pump is never an indication of supply. Some women respond well to a pump, some barely get a few drops. The ONLY count you need to be concernned with is diapers! 5-6 wet disposables or 6-8 wet cloth.
    marieadams

Answer by marieadams at 6:04 PM on May. 29, 2011

• ok, i'm going to try an answers all your questions... btw, thank you all for the quick responses!!

midnightmoma...Cash is getting mostly a bottle now, he has acid reflex or had and my doctor said it could be the angle he eats at while breastfeeding. That's my dilema, I want him to have breast milk but he constantly spits it all back up when I do. Maybe since he is older now, and has been on his medicine for a month or so, he will do better.

babygirl0782... Cash eats every 2-3 hours, except during the night, he can go about 6 hours before waking up. I would say I have a pretty good diet. A friend told me to eat more salt because it helps to retain water, which I'm drinking almost 8000cc a day, and drink less. Also, to eat fresh clams... YUCK!! Oatmeal I can hadle, and I'm going to go look at vitamins.

kcurtis28

Comment by kcurtis28 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on May. 29, 2011

• is all about supply and demand if you breastfeed him you'll get more milk
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 6:31 PM on May. 29, 2011

• i breastfed both my babies along with pumping in between and did the whole eating the right stuff, and dirnking a lot of water and milk and all and i still dried up. sometimes this happens, but there are plenty of things you can do to try and keep the milk flowing, up your protein intake and drink plenty of fluids. good luck
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 7:07 PM on May. 29, 2011

• When you are exclusively breastfeeding you are not supposed to be able to pump out "extra" milk. When you could pump out 24 ounces in addition to breastfeeding you had a HUGE oversupply of milk! When mom has an oversupply of milk, baby will often have symptoms that look like reflux (or will make true reflux much worse). Now that you have a more "normal" supply, I'll bet he will do MUCH better at the breast. I'd encourage you to stop pumping and bottle feeding and try breastfeeding exclusively for 5 days, then re-evaluate! Take a look at http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html and http://www.llli.org/faq/ger.html

Most times babies with reflux do much better directly from breast than from bottle. Plus baby does not get all of the benefits from pumped bottle fed milk.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:09 PM on May. 29, 2011

• ITS SUPPLY AND DEMAND SWEEIE IF YOUR BABY IS NOT NURSING OR YOU ARE NOT PUMPING AS MUCH AS BEFORE YOU WONT PRODUCE BECAUSE YOUR BODY THINKS ITS NOT NEEDED YOU CAN STILL BUILD IT BACK UP BY PUMPING AND EVEN LETTING HIM NURSE BEFORE A FEEDING
    triplettmommy08

Answer by triplettmommy08 at 8:17 PM on May. 29, 2011

• Again, thank you to all of you for the advice...

Unfortunately, I have tried most all these tips, except for the vitamins and lots of protein. I breastfed everytime today, he spit ip each time, and I'm not talking about a little bit, it was a lot:( I bottle fed him before putting him down for the night & he kept every thing down. I just feel like a bad mom because I really want to breastfeed. I'll try some of these ideas again though!! Thanksso much everyone!!
    kcurtis28

Comment by kcurtis28 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on May. 29, 2011