I was wondering what would be the best way to tell my four year old son i am pregnant...and how long did you all wait?

I am thinking until i am out of my first trimester...but i don't know how to tell him...

dylansmom0207

Asked by dylansmom0207 at 5:50 PM on May. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we told my dd right away with 2 pregnancies but we lost one and it was hard to explain that so i would wait. We told her by giving her a shirt that said "im gonna be a big sister". she was older so she could read.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 5:52 PM on May. 29, 2011

• You just tell him there is a baby inside mommies tummy...if you feel it best to wait till after the 1st tri-mester then do so. GL
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 5:55 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I told my children almost immediately once, another time they found the pregnancy in the bathroom. I had a friend who waited until the 2nd trimester. I am tell as soon as you can person so I vote tell him now.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 5:55 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I waited till i was showing, and explained that mommy's tummy is getting bigger because of a baby brother in there! She likes to feel him move, but I'm not sure she's actually put her hand on my tummy long enough for him to kick her. lol
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 6:31 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I got mt son a doll after the first trimester
    tlc99

Answer by tlc99 at 6:39 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I was trying to wait until the 2nd trimester when he saw me taking a prenatal vitamin. He asked why was I taking medicine, was I sick. I said no, it was a vitamin for the baby inside my stomach. He was really happy. I was about 10 weeks at the time.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:04 PM on May. 29, 2011

• I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks after I told my son. It was devastating. After that I waited 5 months. He did not notice at all.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:21 PM on May. 29, 2011

• We didn't tell our 3 year old until I was about 18 weeks. He had never really seen anyone that he knew pregnant before, so he didn't notice that my stomach was getting bigger. We waited that long because then a week later when I had the gender ultrasound, we could start telling him that he was going to have a sister. Before then we did start talking about babies in general ways, and would point babies out to him when we were out places.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 11:34 AM on May. 30, 2011

• My DD was 3 when I got pregnant, and I told her right away, along with DH. She went to all of my OB appts with me, and listened to the heartbeat evenetually, and enjoyed watching my belly grow as pregnancy went on. She seemed to understand that I had a baby in my belly the whole time. She also understood that the changes were making me SICK SICK SICK. I had hyperemesis, ugh!!
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:20 PM on May. 30, 2011

• If I am pregnant, I will have to try not to let my son over hear me talking about it, because I'd want to wait to tell him until the high miscarriage rate period has passed. We've discussed pregnancy with him before because we had a room mate who was pregnant, and his current home day care lady is pregnant. We use both the word and the phrase baby in her tummy. He somewhat understands. As far as if I am goes, I'll wait until I know the gender and then tell him he's going to have a baby brother or sister. So I guess the second trimester is a good time to tell your little ones. My son is (almost) 4 by the way.
    MelodieLenora

Answer by MelodieLenora at 6:19 PM on May. 30, 2011